Firefox works, Safari doesn't.

Reaction score
Hardware: New IMac, using Airport, a hardware firewall on a dialup modem.

I loaded Firefox when I got the machine because I have used it for years. Unfortunately, this version (or the Mac verson) does a ton of behind the scenes talking everytime I move to a new page. Mostly, to google, it appears. It prefetches a lot of stuff based on what has been keyed in the URL bar or what has been clicked on. Sometimes it will continue to receive stuff for three or four minutes after the page has loaded. There is apparently no way to turn this stuff off.

The problem is that on a half speed dialup line (all I have available out here), I can't spare the bandwidth so I decided to try Safari.

With Firefox, it connected on day 1 as soon as I entered the TCP/IP data about my IP add, Mask, and router IP. Works fine. Safari doesn't - gives a message like...
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.yahoo.com/” because it could not connect to the server “www.yahoo.com”.

I am trying to learn Leopard and how to do stuff the right way, so I have avoided dropping into a terminal session and setting it up from underneath in Unix. This is a simple problem, but I am missing something.

Anybody got a hint?

Konan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.