Struggling with my iMac decision

Reaction score
Ok so next week I am buying my new iMac. I waited for the new version to come out, I was very very patient (which normally I am not) then Apple threw me for a loop and the decision is becoming complicated.

Ok so here was what my thinking was, I was going to get the base 24" model. Figuring when the new one came out it would be better specs then the old one.

Well it does for cheaper, so they now have the base 24" for $1499, but what I really hate about it is the 9400m graphics. While I wouldnt call myself a gamer, and while I do some video/sound/picture editing I probably dont NEED the discrete graphics card.....but I am not sure I can bring myself to buy integrated graphics.

So I with my company discount I can get the 2.93ghz with 24" for $1691. I was pretty set on getting that just even as a little bit of future proofing.

Then...... there is a refurbed 3.06 ghz on Apple for $1599!!

So I am back and forth now between the old version 3.06 and the new 2.93.

And in the back of my head I am thinking, I could just save a ton of money and buy the base 24" but I think that is really not what I want.

So the Pro's for the 3.06 so far the only ones I see is the graphics card and a slightly (very slight) cheaper price. The bench marks show that its barely and I mean barely any faster then the 2.93.

So the Pros for the 2.93 newest version, bigger harddrive, better ram. The only weakness I see is the graphics are not as good as the 3.06 (but that doesnt matter to much) and its slightly more expensive, oh and no remote (but I already have 2 of those).

So HELP!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" imac dual core 2.4ghz;13" Macbook Pro 2.26ghz Core 2 Duo Unibody
Hey Staszek!

My kneejerk reaction on this one is go with the refurbished one, but first, answer these questions

1) do you really think you'll some day say "gee I filled up my 500gb Hard drive - wish I had the extra 140gb!
2)if the answer to #1 is no, then what would a 4gb ram upgrade kit cost? <$90??
3)if the answer to 1 and 2 are no, then go with the refurb. even :slightly: better graphics and :slightly: faster processor (non upgradable) are worth it with imacs considering your stuck with'em.

and to put things in perspective - I have 2 20" 2.4GHZ imacs (previous generation aluminum) with the radeon HD2600 graphics (one at work and one at home) and i've done some molecular modeling at work and was very surprised at how smoothly it ran (even with a puny 1gb ram!) so I think you'll be pretty happy with either!

OP
S
Reaction score
I am not sure the answer to the first one but I know I wont probably fill the 500 gig up but I will come close. I dont know if its old school or what but I hate having drives filled near capacity even if I am not putting much more on them.

One of the things holding me back from the refurb is ddr3 vs ddr2 and snow leopard.

I have a feeling that while it may not make a difference now Snow Leopard may take advantage of the new memory.

Oh and I hear what you are saying, I am running a dual core now with only 1 gig.

I dont NEED anything, I probably can get by with a mini, but you know how the ego goes too lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.