message 'Unable to install OSX on this computer'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 8GB & MacBook Pro Dual 2.4
I have a MacbookPro 15" 2.4ghz 200gb etc.

I bought it second hand last year and have been using it okay. It came pre-installed and still had some of the previous owners permissions on etc, which wouldn't give me permission to update the software.

For some reason, it used to hang... the mouse wouldn't respond, until you shut the lit and reopened it. Then the laptop awoke and all was well for a short while. It also 'had' a windows partition.

I decided to format the drive and re-install OSX with the disk provided. This would help me maximise the disk space.

Now I get the message 'Unable to install OSX on this computer'. I've used the disk utility and formatted the HDD, created a new partition etc but nothing helps. I've even tried using the disks for my MacPro desktop to no avail.

This is pretty distressing, as I need my laptop at the weekend for my work (I'm a photographer and shoot tethered).:eek:

Can somebody help me get his resolved???

Cheers
Christian
Christian Hough - Photographer

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you're using the gray restore discs, but they aren't the ones that originally came with the machine. Unfortunately, those discs are model-specific. If that's the case, you may have to spring for a retail copy of Leopard.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 8GB & MacBook Pro Dual 2.4
Sounds like you're using the gray restore discs, but they aren't the ones that originally came with the machine. Unfortunately, those discs are model-specific. If that's the case, you may have to spring for a retail copy of Leopard.

Depressing news... but thanks!

Christian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.