Mac's Copy is actually just a shortcut?

JRV

Reaction score
many years ago i had a mac and when i tried to copy information from a disk or cd it actually just made a shortcut. when i removed the media the stuff would disappear. does it still work this way or has apple fixed this?

M

meltbanana314

In OS X when I did my entrance essay for NHS, I saved the file to my documents folder, plugged in my USB key drive, and dragged my NHS essay to the key drive and dropped it in there. It made a copy, not a shortcut. So yes, the problem has been "fixed."

On a related note, shortcuts are called 'aliases' and they still exist in OS X.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
i meant when you copy from media to your desktop.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
JRV said:
i meant when you copy from media to your desktop.

By default it copies unless you ask it not to, same as Windross.

Unlike Windross it moves a file by default if you drag on the same device rather than making a link. I've lost count of the times I've deleted files in Windross after I've dragged it elsewhere thinking I'd made a copy of it only to find I've deleted the original and all I've got left is a useless link.

Presumably somewhere in both OS's you can choose the default action but I'm too lazy to find it. ;)

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.