replacing a G5 processor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2Ghz dual processors
Hi, My G5 has a broken processor and I was wondering how easy it is to fit a new one?

I've been looking on the net for instructions but all the articles seem to be about upgrades rather just replacement.

I obviously don't want to break my Mac further by doing DIY on it, but have been quote a lot to fix it and have had a total nightmare finding an apple service provider who knows what there doing.

Thanks for reading!:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
well if you get the right processor then it shouldn't be a problem to pop it in instead of the broken one (btw how is it probken?)

but, I have only done this on a pc desktop and I don't have experience with G5 hardware, but still, it shouldn't be a problem

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, My G5 has a broken processor and I was wondering how easy it is to fit a new one?

I've been looking on the net for instructions but all the articles seem to be about upgrades rather just replacement.

I obviously don't want to break my Mac further by doing DIY on it, but have been quote a lot to fix it and have had a total nightmare finding an apple service provider who knows what there doing.

Thanks for reading!:(

I think that your biggest issue is getting a replacement G5 processor (availability & correct processor speed). These are not that commonly available...but occasionally you can find them on E-Bay.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2Ghz dual processors
I have just been told that the processor is broken by apple people. When I turn it on, the screen doesn't go past the apple symbol and the fans go on full blast.

I have had a nightmare trying to get it fixed with Apple service providers (3 attempts now) who have provided really bad service and broken my computer further (by dropping it). So I've found the part on ebay for £100 and am trying to work out if I want to risk fixing it myself!

I've been told that another issue with the computer might be the reason the processor broke (by friends who make their own PC's etc). But i'm hoping the processor has just died and I can hopefully replace it myself....

...is that being a bit hopeful?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think the mac would even get as far as the apple logo, if the processor was busted.

Firstly try starting up in safe mode
Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode

Failing that, try booting off your original Apple OS disks by holding down the C key on start up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Yeah, you wouldn't even see anything on the screen if it was the processor. The system would just refuse to start. You would get no startup chime, no gray screen, and no Apple logo. It has to be something else besides the processor.

If you are actually seeing the Apple logo and the spinning progress indicator, but the system does not boot, it may simply be a problem with your installation of OS X. Have you tried booting from the original install disks that came with the computer? If you can, boot from them and try repairing your disk from Disk Utility and then repair permissions. If you need help doing this let me know. Try to boot from your hard drive again. If it still doesn't work, there might be bigger problems which require a complete reinstallation of the OS.

I just don't think this is a hardware problem, since it does try to boot. It seems much more likely that it is a software issue. It most certainly is NOT the processor though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another who does not think the processor is dead as you are getting some of the boot up process.

Have you tried zapping the pram? Immediately after the chime sounds hold down at the same time the Option, Command, P and R keys. Keep held down until after the thirds chime. If no joy go for the reboot from the install DVD, run Repair Disk, and if all is well try for an archive and install.

Reaction score
If you have a dual-processor machine and the second processor is the problem then your machine will hang at the Apple logo. If the first processor is the problem then it will probably not even chime on power-up.

If this is indeed your problem you can try to disable the second processor.

Boot into Open Firmware by holding down Cmd-Opt-O-F
At the prompt "0 >" type
setenv boot-args cpus=1

You should get an OK back.

Type
mac-boot

To get back to the default nvram settings, at the open firmware prompt type
reset-nvram
or reboot with Cmd-Opt-P-R to reset nvram

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.