ms word settings or clean uninstall?

Reaction score
Hello, I have microsoft office 2008 on my imac (osx 10.5.6) and on Word I unknowingly changed some of the page settings, and now my print area is all messed up and I can't seem to get my settings back to the default even if I change the margins to what it's supposed to be.

Is there a way I can change my word settings back to the defaults, or perform a clean uninstall? I tried running the uninstaller that MS office comes with, but when I try to reinstall it, it remembers my serial number and reverts back to the changed settings that I do not want anymore... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15"
I looked around a bit and found that your default formatting for new documents is saved in the template called Normal.dot. To start fresh, rename this to something else (in Finder) and when you next open Word, a new Normal.dot will be created. You can find this template in your Microsoft User Data folder, which is located in your Documents folder unless you moved it.

Also, the reason why it remembers all of your data is because uninstalling Office only removes the programs and doesn't remove your Microsoft User Data, which includes all of your information for your Microsoft programs as well and is something you don't want to delete, especially if you use Entourage as your email program.

Hope that helps!

-Nik

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.