OS X 10.5.2 install issues - Faulty Disc?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been trying to wrap my head around this issue for the past couple weeks.

I am trying to restore my MBP 2.4 GHZ, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD to the factory settings - that is, to re-install a fresh copy of Leopard.

Like any normal person would do, I have used the restore discs that came with my MBP. Low and behold, the discs do not work. At all. I have checked them, not a single scratch on them - Literally JUST took them out of the box and into the machine. I have taken out the 4GB of ram I installed, and re-installed the original 2GB Apple RAM that came with the machine. No matter what I do, I cannot get these discs to work.

I have a copy of Leopard (10.5) from when it first came out which I installed on my Imac. WORKS LIKE A CHARM. Why would it be that these restore discs do NOT work at all!? I'm concerned because If I ever do decide to sell the machine later on, I won't have any functioning discs!!!

Does Apple warranty these kinds of things? What should I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
the disc doesn't mount in the system or only when you try to boot from it?

you could try putting it in a different computer just to see what happens

OP
M
Reaction score
the disc doesn't mount in the system or only when you try to boot from it?

you could try putting it in a different computer just to see what happens

It does mount, it just doesn't want to read.

When I hold the Option button, I can see it mounted.

I'm running out of ideas :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
You can always install OS X from the 10.5 disc you have and install the bundled apps later, or alternately, take the 10.5.2 discs to the Apple store and complain.

OP
M
Reaction score
You can always install OS X from the 10.5 disc you have and install the bundled apps later, or alternately, take the 10.5.2 discs to the Apple store and complain.

That's exactly what I've done. Im just re-installing everything now. I'm just thinking for future reference (if I were to sell my MBP). Everything is working fine now, I'm just stumped as to why the discs would do that. Anyone ever heard of that before????

I'm also wondering what the Apple Store will say - We don't actually have an Apple store in town, closest one is about an hour and a half away.

I'll take it to the dealer this weekend and see what they say. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The discs are defective. I would call Apple, explain the situation and see if they can ship replacements under warranty.

OP
M
Reaction score
So just an FYI. I called Apple yesterday; They are shipping out a new (retail) copy of Leopard to me! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.