iMac G3 wirless internet

Reaction score
i got an imac g3 with mac os 8.6 installed on it for $20 i wanted to know if i could get cheap wifi for it. i was thinking about someway to rig my PSP to it and use the psp as a sort of adapter. i wasn't sure about this iwas also going to get a ethernet to wifi gaming adapter for it but i didn't want to waste $90 dollars and not have it work. i also looked at adapter that you plug into an outlet and plug the ethernet cord in that again didn't want to waste money and also heard they couldn't be plugged into powerstrips. please write back

Nelson

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i got an imac g3 with mac os 8.6 installed on it for $20 i wanted to know if i could get cheap wifi for it. i was thinking about someway to rig my PSP to it and use the psp as a sort of adapter. i wasn't sure about this iwas also going to get a ethernet to wifi gaming adapter for it but i didn't want to waste $90 dollars and not have it work. i also looked at adapter that you plug into an outlet and plug the ethernet cord in that again didn't want to waste money and also heard they couldn't be plugged into powerstrips. please write back

Nelson

What is the processor speed of your iMac? Early models were not wireless compatible.

Otherwise...most of the iMac G3's were capable of using an Airport card...but you need a special adapter...AND you need to be using OS 10.

- Nick

Reaction score
See if you can find a D-Link dwl-122 wireless usb adapter.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply
the speed is 266 MHz
does anyone know if the ethernet to wireless bridge works or the outlet thing

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See if you can find a D-Link dwl-122 wireless usb adapter.

Although this will work...at $129.00...it costs a lot more than what a used Airport card & Airport card adapter on E-Bay would cost (about $45).

- Nick

Reaction score
Although this will work...at $129.00...it costs a lot more than what a used Airport card & Airport card adapter on E-Bay would cost (about $45).

- Nick

Never buy nothing new for these old Macs. I got mine [D-link adapter]at the thrift store for $2.00.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never buy nothing new for these old Macs. I got mine [D-link adapter]at the thrift store for $2.00.

WOW!...that's a heck of a deal. I will have to keep my eye out for a used one!

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Mac SK,

I was wondering what sort of wireless performance are you getting with the DWL-122?

I've read some older reviews for it, and they are not very positive when it comes to the Macintosh.

What Macintosh model are you using the DWL-122 with?

How far are you from your wireless router, and how many walls or floors/ceilings are there between your wireless router & the computer with the DWL-122?

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Its on a slot load mac and in the same room as the router, Macworld November 2003 {lets you connect any mac} I really like the Linksys wusb11,but theres not a mac driver. Overall its ok,not wireless N by no means...good for data etc.

OP
Z
Reaction score
does any body know about the outlet or ethernet bridge because my router is one floor down in the office where it needs to stay so i can't just move it and plug it in
does anyone know if verizon dsl allows to have more than one router for free because i could use my other router and plug it in upstairs
but i don't want to plug it in and have to pay
and i really don't feel like going through everything they ask you on their customer service just for one question and im not in the mood to talk to a indian dudue who can barely speak english

please reply soon i really need help

-Nelson

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.