installing OS X 10.4 on PowerBook G3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook G3 400 mghz
I got the install disc for OS 10.4 and I am trying to install it on a Powerbook G3. When I tried to install, a message told me that it wasn't compatible with the machine. In the manual it said that the driver might need to be updated, and that it could not update non Mac hard discs. Do you think that this is my problem now? And how do I get the update for it now? I am fairly sure that the hard drive was made by Mitsubishi but it had the Apple logo on the side. What now???:(
Thanks for your help! terry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I got the install disc for OS 10.4 and I am trying to install it on a Powerbook G3.

There were two 400Mhz PowerBook G3's, the "Lombard (bronze keyboard)" and the "Pismo".
To use Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, your Macintosh needs:

* A PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor
* Built-in FireWire
* At least 256 MB of RAM
* DVD drive (DVD-ROM), Combo (CD-RW/DVD-ROM) or SuperDrive (DVD-R) for installation
* At least 3 GB of free disk space; 4 GB if you install the XCode 2 Developer Tools

Now assuming that you have a "Pismo" PowerBook G3, you should have met all of the hardware requirements.

However, the message you are receiving would indicate that you probably have a "Lombard" PowerBook G3. You won't be able to install Tiger on it because since you wouldn't have built-in FireWire ports, you don't meet the requirements for 10.4 Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
You can try this. It is called XPostFacto and it allows you to install OS X on certain unsupported machines. The other option is to remove the hard drive, plug it in to an external case or another computer, use another Mac to install the OS on it, then place it back in the PowerBook. It should boot and run Tiger fine. I used to do this on iMac G3s without Firewire all the time.

Just to be clear, it is not the absence of Firewire that prevents Tiger from running, it is an artificial requirement created by Apple because they believed hardware that old would not be able to run Tiger adequately. They were right in some respects, as it can be very slow, but disabling some features such as Spotlight and Dashboard make a big difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would caution against XPostFacto.
I did try that with a Lombard and a WallStreet G3... it tanked both machines, even after several attempts with each.

If you have a Lombard G3, I wouldn't recommend taking the OS any higher than 10.3.
That always seemed to work the best with mine.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook G3 400 mghz
Hello D3v1L80Y and thank you very much for your help..It is greatly appreciated. It is the lombard with the bronze keyboard. So much for that huh....I will look for the 10.3 .......and see what I can find Once again ..thanks for helping me out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.