iPhone Sync to Manual... scared!

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum, though I come here a lot as my iPhone likes to make my life difficult. I was wondering if I can get some help...

Basically, I have the option to change my iPhone from Sync to Manually Manage through iTunes which is great because I HATE syncing. I thought I'd try it and well, it sucks.

Here's the thing, it says that if I swap to manual it will delete EVERYTHING currently on the iPhone...

Does it mean EVERYTHING or just music. Cos if it deletes my apps, my music, my photos and more importantly, my contacts, I am gonna be upset :\

Help me oh wise Mac guys! Ta lots

Cheers,

Ben

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Honestly, I don't remember if it does or not as I switched mine to manual several months ago. If it says it will, then it probably will. I do like the manual mode much better. And you can still use the sync option in manual mode.

So, even if it does and you have all your contacts, apps, etc. on your computer, you can selectively still use sync for those items. I still use sync for everything except my iTunes Library. Just make sure you set aside enough time to resync the items you want back on it.

(I would make sure that all your contacts from the iPhone have been synced to Address Book. If you've done this, then you'll be able to sync them back to your phone. This is part of the whole purpose of the sync. It provides backup for your iPhone data on your computer.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Why not just backup everything to your computer, try it out, and if it does, you still have your original data.

If not, you still have a backup either way :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Intel C2D, 4GB RAM
just keep it on sync and have a separate playlist for your iphone and sync that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.