max. ram for new 2.4ghz unibody macbook pro

Reaction score
hey just wondering if anyone knows the max. ram for the new unibody macbook pro? i am buying a 2gb and upgrading myself straight away as i have done with my previous macs but wondering if they can run higher than the 4gb they say for the 2.4ghz model? i know the old macbooks ran 3.3 when apple said a max of 2gb.

thanks

jabbutcher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
It will run the 6GB but Apple only say it officially supports 4GB.

Reaction score
Yeah, it will run 6GB smoothly. The additional performance of the 6GB of RAM will far outweigh the loss of the dual channel memory addressing. You should see a performance improvement, not a decline.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, it will run 6GB smoothly. The additional performance of the 6GB of RAM will far outweigh the loss of the dual channel memory addressing. You should see a performance improvement, not a decline.

I'd like to see benchmarks running it both ways. Dual channel memory addressing is efficient and fast especially with the newer DDR3 modules. Do you know if anyone has run tests?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
Remember a 4gb stick is close to $500. Is it really worth it for 2 extra GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ok, here's a benchmark test from eshop.macsales.com showing the results of non-paired memory modules (2gb+4gb). MacBook Memory Performance Testing - 512MB to 4.0GB, Pairs vs. non-Pairs, real-world performance comparisons at | OtherWorldComputing.com

Also, you don't have to pay outrageous prices for 6gb of memory for your macbookpro. Only $179 here 6.0GB Kit (2.0GB+4.0GB) PC2-5300 DDR2 667... (5300DDR2S6GP) at OWC

Although, I'm sticking to 4gb (2x2gb) cause it's around $50 at some places online. The extra $130 for the addtl 2gb is too rich for my blood. Guess I'm not hardcore...

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I am thinking about that kit as I am planning on a Mini pretty soon and I could run 3GB RAM in that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Unibody MacBook Pro
I would also like to see benchmarks. Dual-Channel is the way to go IMO unless the benchmarks are improved greatly. The 4GB RAM I upgraded too in my UMBP runs amazing with Photoshop CS1 running via Rosetta and using Office 08 runs flawlessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
The link MYmacROX provides is interesting and certainly indicates that 3-unpaired is far better than 2-paired but I wonder if this effect is linear...that is, would the improvement form 4-paired to 6-unpaired be anywhere near as impressive. I'm wondering if 4 gigs takes you beyond a threshold - for some programs - where more ram wont necessarily help. Now if you're running intensive programs for specialized uses (brain image processing in my case) then the more the better.

See this link. It's pretty interesting and suggests (at least for basic uses) 4 is the way to go.

"late 2008" MacBook Pro - 4GB vs 6GB RAM config

Reaction score
4gb vs 6gb

See this link. It's pretty interesting and suggests (at least for basic uses) 4 is the way to go.

"late 2008" MacBook Pro - 4GB vs 6GB RAM config

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the this article is stating that 6gb ram will perform at about the same as 4gb (2x2gb) for tasks utilizing the paired memory modules; in other words, they seem to suggest that users may reap similar or better results using 6gb of ram despite the lack of paired memory benefits.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.