SP3 Update Problem in Boot Camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz 2 GB, Core 2 Duo OS 10.5.6
I'm operating a MacBook Pro with Mac OS 10.5.6. I removed a Windows partition that I had been operating smoothly for 1.5 years in order to reinstall. I can reinstall Windows fine and update the Boot Camp files using my Leopard disc. However, whenever I try to update Windows with SP3 while running Windows XP, I get the following message :

C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$ Setup requires minimum of 4 additional MB of free space or if you want to archive for uninstallation 4 additional MB of free space.

I have tried to update using the "Express Install" option for Windows update. I have used a copy of XP SP3 that I downloaded from my earlier successful installation of Boot Camp and Windows (though I did install it under OS 10.4.x).

I even went so far as to uninstall Boot Camp again and reinstall everything anew. I get the same message from the "Express Install" option. I also downloaded SP3 as a separate file and tried several times to install it. I always get the same message. The message is ridiculous since I have 26 GB of available space in the Boot Camp partition.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
This happens because iMac uses EFI file format which Windows XP does not support. To workaround this problem, add a registry key as follows:

1. Click Start - Run - Type “regedit” and press enter.

2. Navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Setup

3. In the right pane, Right-click and select New - String value

4. Name it as “BootDir” and set its value to “C:\

This should help. Try installing SP3 and should work fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.