Is 1GB Ram or 2GB Ram

Reaction score
Folks,

I need your help, please.

I am about to purchase the cheapest iMac version which offers 2GB ram processing power. As funds are tight I probably should go for the previous version (the iMac with 1GB Ram) which some music website still have for sale.

I'll be running Logic Pro 8 and my typical song arrangements don't normally exceed 20 tracks.

Do you guys think this will be sufficient. I really do not want to make the mistake I havedone in the past where my PC (;D I know) just wasn't capable of handling what was asked from it on the other hand I don't want to break the bank.

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Brgds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you're running Logic, then the more RAM the better.
You can get the 1GB model and then purchase more RAM separately.
This will still save you money, even though you're buying the RAM in a second purchase.

OP
M
Reaction score
Good thinking

If you're running Logic, then the more RAM the better.
You can get the 1GB model and then purchase more RAM separately.
This will still save you money, even though you're buying the RAM in a second purchase.

Good thinking - thanks.

Any idea how much this would set me back and also is there a limit of how much Ram you can buy.

Rgds

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
RAM is pretty cheap - take a look here to see how cheap it is (prices in $CDN) - this is the RAM for my MB. There's a 2GB chip for $28 for example.

The MB you are looking at probably has a limit of 4GB. It would also be better to buy pairs of equal size. For example, buy 2X1GB instead of 1X2GB (and in the process leave the other slot empty).

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Your replies are very helpful and much appreciated.
As I am sure you can tell my technical abilties aren't the greatest so I presume I would have to get someone to do the upgrade for me?

When Ram is so cheap does that really justify $300 difference in price for the 2GB ram imac version currently on offer. I guess the size of the hard drive comes into play here?!?

Rgds

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That $300 buys you a machine with a higher resale value. Gets you a faster processor, more RAM, larger hard drive and uses the newest type RAM (DDR3) which runs faster than the previous gen RAM (DDR2). DDR3 is still slightly expensive compared to DDR2 also. Just depends on whether you're an individual that's gotta have the newest thing or prefer the $300 in your pocket.

After market memory:
4GB kit of DDR2 will run you about $40-$50.
4GB kit of DDR3 will run you about $65-$80 and still dropping.

Reaction score
...I presume I would have to get someone to do the upgrade for me?
You could do that or check out some of the brief tuturial videos and try it yourself if you're feeling brave...

Installation of ram (from OWC) on one of the new iMacs...
YouTube - Bleeding Edge TV 178: iMac RAM Upgrade On The Cheap!

I saw a ram upgrade video somewhere on one of the older iMacs (where you have to remove the back of the computer). But I don't remember where I saw it. You should be able to find it pretty easily though.

...When Ram is so cheap does that really justify $300 difference in price for the 2GB ram imac version currently on offer.
You may want to check out the iMac ram upgrades at Other World Computing and Crucial...

OWC...
Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC

There's a drop-down menu at the top/right. But the iMac ram upgrades for the new iMacs are here...
Memory up to 8GB for Apple iMac 20" and 24" Models 2.66GHz to 3.06GHz DDR3 'March/2009 with mini-DisplayPort' models at OtherWorldComputing.com

The ram upgrades for the previous generation iMacs are here...
Apple iMac Memory upgrades for Aluminum 20" and 24" models with Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2.66GHz, 2.8GHz, or 3.06GHz processor at OtherWorldComputing.com

Crucial...
Top Models for Ram and Flash
Just select the iMac model from the dropdown menu and the site will show you what's available.

They have some pretty decent deals at OWC and Crucial. And their stuff is Mac compatible.

...I guess the size of the hard drive comes into play here?!?
I believe the size of the hard drive and the processor speed do come into play. Probably some other things as well. But I'll leave that answer up to the experts. ;D

Good luck!

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow,
you must be all a walking encyclopedia. Thanks so much for all the help and advice - that will definitely give me something to chew on for the next few days. I'll keep you updated with what I'm gonna do but this has definetly helped a lot. Much appreciated.

So long

Reaction score
Wow,
you must be all a walking encyclopedia...
What can I say? I'm a big brain box! ;) haha... Actually, I must credit any knowledge I have to people at forums like this one. ;D

Thanks so much for all the help and advice - that will definitely give me something to chew on for the next few days. I'll keep you updated with what I'm gonna do but this has definetly helped a lot. Much appreciated.
Awesome! Good luck, and please do let us know what you decide!

Best,
LB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.