deleted files from the folder called "com.apple.dock.plist"

Reaction score
so, I screwed up majorly and deleted files from the folder called "com.apple.dock.plist" and now my dock is screwed up. They files I need are stuck in the trash can, but I can't get to my trash can, because all I can see are applications that are opened which I opened with spotlight.
How do I reset my dock?
ps
terminal killall Dock doesn't work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Not an Apple Notebook Hardware issue.
Moved to software forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I don't have my mac in front of me atm (at work) but can't you get to the trash with the finder, which (at least on my mac) seemed to always be available...? There is a reset function on the dock tho - I remember reading it in OSX Leopard The Missing Manual book - I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was in settings, under dock, there is an option to reset it to factory default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
so, I screwed up majorly and deleted files from the folder called "com.apple.dock.plist" and now my dock is screwed up. They files I need are stuck in the trash can, but I can't get to my trash can, because all I can see are applications that are opened which I opened with spotlight.
How do I reset my dock?
ps
terminal killall Dock doesn't work

There is not a "folder" named com.apple.dock.plist. There is a "file" named com.apple.dock.plist. Deleting that file will simply result in the Dock preferences being reset to the defaults and the OS will recreate a fresh copy of com.apple.dock.plist.

That said, deleting the FILE com.apple.dock.plist shouldn't be causing the problems you are having. You also seem to be under the impression you deleted a folder full of files, or multiple files. I can't guess what it is you REALLY deleted. You also didn't indicate if com.apple.dock.plist was deleted from your user Library, the root Library, or the System Library. You really need to be a bit more certain and specific on what it is you deleted.

Reaction score
I Did that, it didn't recreate itself

There is not a "folder" named com.apple.dock.plist. There is a "file" named com.apple.dock.plist. Deleting that file will simply result in the Dock preferences being reset to the defaults and the OS will recreate a fresh copy of com.apple.dock.plist.

That said, deleting the FILE com.apple.dock.plist shouldn't be causing the problems you are having. You also seem to be under the impression you deleted a folder full of files, or multiple files. I can't guess what it is you REALLY deleted. You also didn't indicate if com.apple.dock.plist was deleted from your user Library, the root Library, or the System Library. You really need to be a bit more certain and specific on what it is you deleted.

I was also told to delete that file, I did and it didn't recreate itself after restarting, major, PLEASE HELP ME DOCK ISNT THERE background isn't there, I can't minimize either, who knows what else, please please please help me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was also told to delete that file, I did and it didn't recreate itself after restarting, major, PLEASE HELP ME DOCK ISNT THERE background isn't there, I can't minimize either, who knows what else, please please please help me

Slow down there, hoss. That file should have been recreated on restart. But let's back up here a minute. Who told you to delete that and why? Were you having all these problems before you deleted it? Deleting the preference list for the Dock would have zero impact on your desktop wallpaper or the ability to minimize. Also advise us of what Mac you have and what version of OS X you are running. And how much drive space is used/free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And you still need to specify where the file was that you deleted.

Reaction score
Slow down there, hoss. That file should have been recreated on restart. But let's back up here a minute. Who told you to delete that and why? Were you having all these problems before you deleted it? Deleting the preference list for the Dock would have zero impact on your desktop wallpaper or the ability to minimize. Also advise us of what Mac you have and what version of OS X you are running. And how much drive space is used/free.
Thank you a lot, but luckily when i messaged you i was in a bit of a panic. Luckily my dad is a IT guy took it to work one day and fixed it. He doesn't know why it didnt recreate itself or the desktop, well idk i didnt bother to ask. thanks for everything though!

Reaction score
oh and sorry for not replying, and taking your time when i really could not have.
best of wishes!

Reaction score
oh and sorry for not replying, and taking your time when i really could not have.
best of wishes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.