Mac And Linux Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

macownersoon

i don't know where to put this so anyway i was wondering if Mac has X11 installed it could run Linux Apps right

OP
M

macownersoon

thats not what i asked i asked if mac can run linux applications because it has x11 right and i don't know where to put this

OP
M

meltbanana314

You see that first "Yes," in my post?

That means OS X *can* run Linux applications.

Honestly, if you couldn't tell what apt-get and portage do and understand that Linux applications can be run on OS X, then you shouldn't be remotely involved with either Linux applications or the operating system in the first place.

Maybe instead of buying a Mac you should take the money and pay for some English courses down at your community college since you also seem to lack certain reading comprehension and writing skills.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hey meltbanana no need to get so rude!

He's just asking a basic question, just because you obviously think your post explained it all doesn't mean that he can't ask for clarification.

If you don't want to answer, then don't - but don't jump down people's throats either...

Macownersoon: I think it is possible to get linux apps to run under OS X, but they need some adjustment or alterations first.
As far as I know you can't just download the linux version of a program and install it under OS X, but if you know how to, you can make them work.

Unfortunately I don't know how and it seems as though meltbanana is too busy being elitist to tell us, so....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Actually, in my opinion your first sentence doesn't clearly answer his question. Since you put a comma, not a period after 'yes', generally I would take that to mean that the part following the comma clarifies the part preceding the comma - hence your sentence appears to mean "Yes you are right in assuming that OSX has X11".

Macownersoon, fink is quite a good utility for getting linux applications that will work on your mac.

OP
M

meltbanana314

Aptmunich said:
Unfortunately I don't know how and it seems as though meltbanana is too busy being elitist to tell us, so....

Any Linux based-software installed through Fink or Gentoo portage will work. It is already pre-compiled for the PowerPC platform and uses the common GNU tools to open and install it.

I'm not being elitist. The mods around here do nothing to curb the atrocious lack of writing skills being displayed in some of the threads. macownersoon's sentence has no punctuation nor capitalization. He also posted it in the wrong forum.

If he isn't smart enough *follow* the links to the Fink or X11 pages (in my first post) and read the documentation on how to get Linux applications to run on OS X, then he probably doesn't deserve to be on any Mac or Linux forum.

macownersoon: Read the documentation and use some common sense, please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
meltbanana314 said:
If he isn't smart enough *follow* the links to the Fink or X11 pages (in my first post) and read the documentation on how to get Linux applications to run on OS X, then he probably doesn't deserve to be on any Mac or Linux forum.

To be quite frank: *YOU* Go read the Forum Rules.

OP
F

flonejek

I got Inkscape running fine using darwinports, a bit harder than gentoo or fink, but has more packages (their all trying to merge tho.)

http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

Inkscapes the only app i really use thats not been ported in an easy to install format (see versiontracker for ports of stuff like rsync, gimp, and some *nix games)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
meltbanana314 said:
I'm not being elitist. The mods around here do nothing to curb the atrocious lack of writing skills being displayed in some of the threads. macownersoon's sentence has no punctuation nor capitalization. He also posted it in the wrong forum.

We encourage nothing more than standard internet language. We will not 'curb' anyones language so long as its not offensive. We will 'curb' members who stray from topic, and attack a member based on lack of english skills. So I ask you, please stay on topic. Or we will curb you.
Rules: note the first one.

meltbanana314 said:
This is a forum, tolerate peoples need for quick easy summaries.

meltbanana314 said:

Wow. Heed our warning: Many members come here with the theory they rule, "go me", yuppie personalities.. please keep in mind, flamers and personal battles are not enjoyed here. What is this first grade? If you don't have anything productive to say, don't say anything.. this forum is big, post in the bar if you have to let everyone know how horrible your day has been.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
And with that this thread is locked....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.