removing xp and installing mac os x 10.2

R

red_afrooo

hey, plz i need some serious help... i have a compaq presario 2100 pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 514ram and 40gega hard disk with windows xp running it... well i want yo split the hard disk into two, one part having windows xp running it and one part having mac os 10.2... if that is impossible then i wanna fully remove xp and install mac! is that impossible too??? plz reply back....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
OP
H

hokiethang

red_afrooo said:
hey, plz i need some serious help... i have a compaq presario 2100 pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 514ram and 40gega hard disk with windows xp running it... well i want yo split the hard disk into two, one part having windows xp running it and one part having mac os 10.2... if that is impossible then i wanna fully remove xp and install mac! is that impossible too??? plz reply back....

very impossible. OS X is not designed for the Pentium Processor line. OS X is locked to running on the PowerPC processor, which is only available from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Oh how I wish I could convert all the thousands of dollars worth of equipment I have into something that is usefull :)

OP
S

StealthMode

Buy a mac, get Virtual PC, and load up XP through that. Then anytime you want to use XP you woud run VPC.
I use both, I have a PC w/XP and my PowerBook, and I am running XP on my mac as well through virtualpc. You can also run linux, and Win9x through it as well.

Stealth -

OP
N

nko

Do people honestly not know about the whole difference in systems? It grates on my mind to see posts like this, where correct punctuation and, often, spelling, take a back seat. Not that I'm trying to say this guy's a l00z0R or something, just that it kinda feels like nails on a chalkboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
We get all kinds.. people who barely speak english, people who speak |-|@)K3R, people who have impeccible english, people who cawnt spil.. all kinds.. and you know what.. they are all welcome here :)

OP
C

calbob

red_afrooo said:

Hi! SORRY. Not possible. You can make a Mac look and operate like a PC with one of the PC Emulators out there but you cannot make a PC into a Mac. Wish it were so because we would have a lot more Mac users if possible.

OP
N

nko

People who can't spill? I never thought I'd have such mundane people to idolize so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
OP
U

urbandyke

I'm stll trying to figure out why anyone would WANT to emulate a Windows box. *shiver*

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

Its because they dont know any better. The novice computer user sees a "computer" as a Pentium based Windows drive monster.
Someone who is about to purchase their first computer, and has done Windows based courses on how to use a "computer" will ask for a PC, when really they want a computer.
So they go into PC World. There are what, 20 PC's on show and 4 macs.

The chances of them buying a Mac? Very very low.

OP
U

unl33t

actually, doesn't the Darwin project run on i386 arch? its not complete OSX, but its close. i think you end up relying on X and such... but that would be one route to making it work. yes/no? :)

OP
J

justintd

OSX on PC

unl33t said:
actually, doesn't the Darwin project run on i386 arch? its not complete OSX, but its close. i think you end up relying on X and such... but that would be one route to making it work. yes/no? :)

I have actually run darwin and various versions of MacOS successfully on a PC. Please see http://gxsystems.gotdns.com/justin/vpc.htm

Now here's my question. I deal in IT mainly Win2K/XP ... we have a unix firewall, and I have my powerbook as a toy.. but OSX is based on Unix. Now in Unix you have the x-windows packages which provide the graphical interface. If this is the case, then in theory, OS-X is Darwin with an x-windows system. Why couldn't someone simply install that package on top of Darwin and have a working copy of OSX?

Justin

OP
U

unl33t

justintd said:
I have actually run darwin and various versions of MacOS successfully on a PC. Please see http://gxsystems.gotdns.com/justin/vpc.htm

Now here's my question. I deal in IT mainly Win2K/XP ... we have a unix firewall, and I have my powerbook as a toy.. but OSX is based on Unix. Now in Unix you have the x-windows packages which provide the graphical interface. If this is the case, then in theory, OS-X is Darwin with an x-windows system. Why couldn't someone simply install that package on top of Darwin and have a working copy of OSX?

Justin

not quite. from what i understand OSX has some "special" tweaks in it (ex: aqua) that make it a little different. if i remember correctly, somewhere there is a notice (possably on the darwin site) about the differences. mainly, if you program in OSX it may or maynot run right on Darwin depending on the files used in the program. however, programs written on a darwin system should work just fine under OSX, seeing that Darwin is just a cut down version of OSX.

i could be wrong, but i think i'm remembering this correctly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.