Hard Drive gone crazy

M

myjay610

So, I left to goto work, powerbook just sitting there.. 8hrs come home, and Adium is froze up and the HDD is scratching...scratch, scratch, scratch, in like one second intervals. Thing is going slow as anything, and then I picked it up while trying to do something and turns out the computer ran fine when I had it tilted to like a 45 degree angle to the right! There must be a slight HDD mechanical issue.. then I was getting really mad as I was backing up my data and slapped the underside of the computer, now it's working fine...

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of problems where the HDD just has a mechanical failure? I think I want to send it in anyway, you know, it's not worth the trouble, does anyone know how well apple handles this stuff.. like how long it takes, etc.

Thanks,
John

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
This many be a warning that your disk is going bad or about to fail. I would start making sure you have good back ups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.