Mac mini waking me up

Reaction score
:Shouting:

I've got a weird problem with my mac mini that I can't explain and it is driving me mad. It turns itself on at approximately 3am every morning while I am sleeping. The brightness of the screen and the beep when it turns on wakes me up. This has happened 5 times now over a period of 2 weeks. I don't always turn my mac mini off at night, but I am starting to think that it doesn't like to be turned off.

When I am finished for the night I go to the Apple icon and click shut down. It shuts down normally. The mac mini is the 1.86Ghz, 1Gig ram, 80Gb hard drive one and is about 1.5 years old.

This is driving me insane. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
asdf29

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I have 3 initial ideas, look at your shared settings and check your schedules for wake up and sleep. Both are in the system preferences.

OP
A
Reaction score
Tried that.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

There is nothing in the schedule, what is your second suggestion?

Thanks.

OP
A
Reaction score
I found the wake-on-lan setting and have turned that off just in case. I hope for my sanity that it works :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
Hello, try going to your "Energy saver" screen from System Preferences. On the bottom, click on "Schedule". See if it was somehow set to wake at a certain time. Hope it solves your problem.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Well, I hope that works. Let us know if it work or not.

OP
A
Reaction score
It did it again this morning. Same time of the morning. Think I am going to throw it out the window. I checked the wake up schedule last night before I went to bed and there was nothing set.

I read somewhere that it might be a faulty USB component attached to the computer. I only have a mouse, apple keyboard and soundblaster MP3+ attached, so I can't imagine why any of these would effect it. But tonight I am going to unplug them all to see if it makes a difference. After that, I think I am going to have to turn it off at the plug.

Still - really weird that it happens at the same time every morning.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You don't by chance have any alarm clock software installed in osx do you?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Also check in System Preferences / Accounts / Login Items - check all user accounts.

Or have you installed an applescript to automatically run the maintenance tasks?

OP
A
Reaction score
No alarm clock software or login items that would make a difference. I also checked if there were any cronjobs that run at that time, and there aren't...

Its staying on tonight because I really need some sleep.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No alarm clock software or login items that would make a difference. I also checked if there were any cronjobs that run at that time, and there aren't...

Its staying on tonight because I really need some sleep.

There's no reason to lose sleep due to this mac mini issue...UNPLUG THE DARN THING!!! ;D

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.