How many tracks maximum can Logic/iMac record?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking into getting an iMac together with Logic Studio or Logic Express to do multitracking for my church worship team on Sundays.

We usually run 20-22 channels of audio on the mixer, a Yamaha M7CL. We are thinking of purchasing the MY16-AT ADAT expansion card. If we insert 2 cards we can get 32 channels of ADAT out of the Yamaha. We will probably be getting an Maudio Profire Lightbridge firewire interface to connect these to the Mac.

My question is does anyone know or have tried recording more than 20 tracks of live audio simultaneously on an imac and logic? I am aware that Protools M Powered has a 18 track simultaneous recording limit. I'm just wondering if Logic has the same limitation.

Or would I be better off with Protools?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
I don't think there is a track limit on Logic, check the Logic documentation just to make sure but I've opened 32 tracks playing with loops one night and I could've opened more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.66 C2D 2gb Ram
For what i have seen/ tried, the more ram the more channels i can open, i havent tried 32 tracks yet, but 26 with fx runs very smooth with 2gb ram.
Thats only audio recording, not loading any instruments or anything

EDIT: BTW i was talking about protools and 002, havent tried so many channels because i dont know how to use it yet.....

Reaction score
I don't think there is a track limit in logic. I currently have a macbook pro 2nd gen with 2gb ram, 120gb 5400rpm SATA disc. I've recorded up to 14 tracks in logic on a mackie onyx1640. And up to 18 tracks in Mackie traction recording software.

Recently I tried hooking 2 onyx mixers to my computer and tried recording 20 to 36 channels in logic. I could record up to 5 minutes of 36ch material in Traction but logic wouldn't record with both mixers plugged in. I could assign all 36 to recording enabled channels, but when I pushed record the program crashed.

I even tried connecting a Mbox2 to set up a aggregate device and could assign 40 ch but that didn't work either (supprise supprise).

I've been recording 18 tracks though without any probs at all. The computer was used simultaneously for browsing, instant messaging and flash gaming applications. I suppose the bottleneck won't be your system or software.

Had so manu problems installing pro tools I stopped using it. Logic's running smooth on my comp.

Been searching for a forum where someones' recording 24 ch on a mac laptop with a 5400 rpm disc. Seen one where it is said that it possibel to record 24 channels of 24bit/44.1khz audio on a 5400rpm disc and 32 channels of 24bit/44.1khz audio on a 7200 rpm disc.

There aren't many using laptop with 5400 rpm disc in multitrack recording applications though.

Hope I've not been babling too much.

Nice mixer you're using.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

From what you are saying I think it should be quite safe going ahead with the purchases. Am playing to purchase the new 24inch iMac with 4GB RAM. We will get the Logic Express to go with it with a view of upgrading to Logic Studio if we need further oomph.

We will most likely purchase the Presonus Firestudio Lightpipe 32x32 to be the firewire/ADAT interface.

I'll keep everyone posted how things go once we get all the stuff in.

Yes the M7CL is a great digital board. No complaints about it. It sounds really nice and the controls are easy to use. Got tons of effects on-board too.

Cheers everyone! :)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm using Cubase in WinXP, was doing a research of can I go to MAC or stay in WinXP. I also had a doubt of how much Logic express limit the tracks. And I found the below information. Please click below for all the doubts you have.

http://www.iclub.com.pt/docs/armazem/LogicExpress7_FAQ.pdf

It says Logic express can open upto 255 stereo tracks.

Now I have a doubt which I guess anyone can help me out. I have many samples and VSTs which support WinXP (SP2) and DAW related softwares. But if I go to MAC, firstly will there be lots of plug-ins like FX for audio al well as VST? Like in windows I can even download some free plug-ins, but Its not possible with Mac right? Is there anyone who are using more than 32 tracks and need more plugins? For the stuff like pitch tuning and flanger, some kinda electronic sounds fx?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.