Powerbook G4 Startup

Reaction score
Ok, so I have a Mac Powerbook G4 15". The harddrive recently died in it and so I just grabbed one from work to put in here. I also upgraded to 1gb of ram. This mac is a 1.5ghz pentium M. I have OSX Leopard 10.5.6 but when I put it in the disc drive, it doesnt automatically start up off of it. The computer starts with, "1,072,300,032 bytes of system memory tested OK" then goes to a screen with "Intel Mobile Calistoga CRB Framework Implementation Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. Intel (R) Pentium(R) M CPU BIOS Version: 0.0F, 10/11/05 For Evaluation Purposes Only. It has 6 options to choose from. Continue, Select language, Boot Manager, Device Manager, Boot Maintenance Manager, and View Diagnostic Page. Can anyone help me get my MAC to start up and install OSX? Thank you!

OP
G
Reaction score
Startup

Ok, so I have a Mac Powerbook G4 15". The harddrive recently died in it and so I just grabbed one from work to put in here. I also upgraded to 1gb of ram. This mac is a 1.5ghz pentium M. I have OSX Leopard 10.5.6 but when I put it in the disc drive, it doesnt automatically start up off of it. The computer starts with, "1,072,300,032 bytes of system memory tested OK" then goes to a screen with "Intel Mobile Calistoga CRB Framework Implementation Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. Intel (R) Pentium(R) M CPU BIOS Version: 0.0F, 10/11/05 For Evaluation Purposes Only. It has 6 options to choose from. Continue, Select language, Boot Manager, Device Manager, Boot Maintenance Manager, and View Diagnostic Page. Can anyone help me get my MAC to start up and install OSX? Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
You obviously do not have a Mac. No PowerBook ever came with any type of Intel processor, and no Intel Mac ever came with a Pentium M. Also Macs do not have a BIOS, so.. I think that is your problem right there. Mac OS X will not run on non Apple hardware.

OP
G
Reaction score
I was told it was a powerbook g4. It looks just like it. And on a further note, I'm really sick of these "I'm better than you are because I'm knowledgeable about macs!" type replies. I posted you what my screen said, verbatim, word for word, letter for letter, everything exactly the same. If I cant put Mac OSX on there, then tell me what I CAN put on there. I'm tired of having a paper weight, and would love to have my elementary mac education enlightened by some of you mac "gods".

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Win 2000 or Win XP should run OK on that machine.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
its a mac, shall i post pictures? perhaps so that one of you can tell me what i have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I would love to see what you have, please post some pics. Unless it is some kind of experimental prototype for an Intel Mac from before their official release, there is no way it's a PowerBook. I wasn't trying to act superior or better than you, I was merely stating the facts. Based on the info you gave, the only conclusion is that what you have is NOT a Mac.

OP
G
Reaction score
DSCN0884.jpg

DSCN0885.jpg

DSCN0886.jpg

Reaction score
looks like a mac to me although I have never heard of a mac with bios.....perhaps you might have accidently uploaded some sort of firmware onto the motherboard which would make it have bios. now you could try flashing the motherboard or I may be on crack and sleep deprived which in that case please ignore me.

OP
G
Reaction score
Macbook Help!

The harddrive recently died in it and so I just grabbed one from work to put in here. I also upgraded to 1gb of ram. This mac is a 1.5ghz pentium M. I have OSX Leopard 10.5.6 but when I put it in the disc drive, it doesnt automatically start up off of it. The computer starts with, "1,072,300,032 bytes of system memory tested OK" then goes to a screen with "Intel Mobile Calistoga CRB Framework Implementation Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. Intel (R) Pentium(R) M CPU BIOS Version: 0.0F, 10/11/05 For Evaluation Purposes Only. It has 6 options to choose from. Continue, Select language, Boot Manager, Device Manager, Boot Maintenance Manager, and View Diagnostic Page. Can anyone help me get my MAC to start up and install OSX? Thank you!

here are links:
DSCN0884.jpg

DSCN0885.jpg

DSCN0886.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not a PowerBook because it has an iSight camera, which would make it more similar to a MacBook Pro, which it isn't because of the fact it has a BIOS and MBPs never came with a Pentium M, only Core Duo and Core 2 Duo. It also looks like there is no lettering under the screen. You may have an early prototype for the original MacBook Pro, which may not yet have an implementation of the EFI firmware. This is further supported by the "For Evaluation Purposes Only" message. If so, this is a very rare and probably valuable find. I seriously doubt you will be able to find a copy of OS X which will run on this, since it probably came with a specialized version which was only used inside Apple. A retail copy of Leopard will almost certainly not work. Macs never show any kind of BIOS screen or other messages upon startup, only a gray screen with the Apple Logo, unless a keyboard command is input to specifically boot in verbose mode. Any commercially available Mac does not have a BIOS, but instead uses the Extensible Firmware Interface. Since Mac OS X depends on this interface to allow it to boot, any system with a BIOS can not boot OS X.

Lets see some more pictures, what does the sticker on the bottom say? What does the screen look like that comes up when powered on?

OP
G
Reaction score
Macbook Pro HELP!

The harddrive recently died in it and so I just grabbed one from work to put in here. I also upgraded to 1gb of ram. This mac is a 1.5ghz pentium M. I have OSX Leopard 10.5.6 but when I put it in the disc drive, it doesnt automatically start up off of it. The computer starts with, "1,072,300,032 bytes of system memory tested OK" then goes to a screen with "Intel Mobile Calistoga CRB Framework Implementation Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. Intel (R) Pentium(R) M CPU BIOS Version: 0.0F, 10/11/05 For Evaluation Purposes Only. It has 6 options to choose from. Continue, Select language, Boot Manager, Device Manager, Boot Maintenance Manager, and View Diagnostic Page. Can anyone help me get my MAC to start up and install OSX? Thank you!

here are links:
DSCN0884.jpg

DSCN0885.jpg

DSCN0886.jpg

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
They never made a 1.5GHz MacBook pro. Also there shouldn't be any bios on the system, macs use EFI to boot. It sounds dodge to me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you get back from the suspension, I have a feeling you might have yourself a very rare developer Mac from when Apple made the switch to Intel. I know the Mac Pro Developer systems were more like a PC with OSX installed and probably even had a Bios. They were given to Developers to give them a temp platform to develop their software for the new Intel Macs. I have never seen a Developer MPB but it sure looks like that is what you have. That would explain the Pentium M also.

This is just a guess, but it makes sense as many developers did have the Mac Pro like systems with older Intel hardware till the first Intel Macs went into production.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
When you get back from the suspension, I have a feeling you might have yourself a very rare developer Mac from when Apple made the switch to Intel.

This is just a guess, but it makes sense as many developers did have the Mac Pro like systems with older Intel hardware till the first Intel Macs went into production.
It's more than a guess, it is.
The sticker on the bottom reads:
This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission.
This device is not and may not be offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased until authorization is obtained.
Assembled in China.

So, essentially this is a machine which nobody here will be able to assist you with as it was never intended to be available for public use.

sticker.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's more than a guess, it is.
The sticker on the bottom reads:

Thanks DB. I am half asleep and my eyes would not focus on that label. Makes sense.

And you sir have very good eyes! I put that image into Preview and blew it up and still looks blurry to me! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.