Firefox Uninstall

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,
Hi,

I cannot uninstall firefox. Basically Safari 4, for my purposes anyway, is far superior to Firefox but getting rid of it is not an easy thing, for me anyway.

I have quit firefox, then gone to apps then dragged firefox to the bin, yet the icon was still in the dock. I tried to smoke the icon by dragging it to the desktop and then to trash and it will not budge. I emptied trash can and restarted and it is still there. i have osx 10.5.

When i click on links, firefox opens and does the link (really annoying) and it is as if firefox is trying to take over (well has anyway).

any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers
maxy

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Firefox may still be your default browser. In Safari, go to Safari > Preferences... > General > Default web browser > change this to Safari. This won't necessarily help with the uninstall but it will make Safari the default.

Do you get any error messages when you move FF to the Trash? You also don't need to move the icon from the dock to the desktop and then to the Trash. Moving it the desktop will make it disappear.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firefox may still be your default browser. In Safari, go to Safari > Preferences... > General > Default web browser > change this to Safari. This won't necessarily help with the uninstall but it will make Safari the default.

Do you get any error messages when you move FF to the Trash? You also don't need to move the icon from the dock to the desktop and then to the Trash. Moving it the desktop will make it disappear.

Hi Vansmith,

did the safari preference and actually it was set to firefox which i have changed to safari. There is no firefox in my apps. however the ff icon is still in the dock. when i drag it to the desktop, the little smoke cloud comes up but then the ff icon bounces back to the dock and it does not disappear. really weird as this is the first time it has happened to me. thanks in the interim.

cheers
Maxy

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Sounds like Firefox is still open. Do you see a blue dot below it? If an app is open, you can not remove it from the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz core 2 duo, 4bg ram, 120g hdd
try pressing command+option+esc to see if firefox is still running. if it is, then you can force it to quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just drag the FF icon from the Dock to the desktop and it should vanish in a cloud of smoke as it is only an alias or shortcut to the FF program normally stored in Applications.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firefox Uninstall - resolved

Thanks for the assistance. I have never noticed the little almost transparent blue dots under the dock icons before. I clicked on FF and then quit it and was FINALLY able to drag it to desktop and it went up in a puff of smoke. Odd though because I was definitely closing it before but just used the red X button. which means that doesnt really close ff.

Cheers and thanks all
Maxy

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In OS X, when you close the application window with the red x, you don't actually quit the application but simply close the window. If you use the close button, the application is still open but no windows are. I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.