Boot Camp May have partitioned my whole drive for Win XP

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried to use Boot Camp Assistant on my new iMac to partition for Windows XP Pro to run some accounting software. I allocated 15GB for the Windows partition and I started the installation.

THe screen then went blank and froze for a very long time without doing anything. I couldn't get the Win XP CD out so I decided to shutdown by holding down the On/Off button. I then restarted and it seems to have booted from the CD and went to a blue screen for Windows Installation.

It then got the screen where I'm meant to see the partition options. But it only had the one partition, and no other options (partitions) to select. I gather that Boot Camp didn't or couldn't partition at all. I aborted the process fearing I might accidentally cause more damage.

Anyone know what I should do? Or how I can correctly partition? I want to be able to have the option to choose which OS to go into upon booting.

I also did a 'fsck -fy' and it responded that my volume was OK. Not sure what else to do.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Well first off Backup your data(nuff said)
reset pram and boot from the OS X cd to repair the disk and permissions. Much more is required than the 10GB minimum to install Bootcamp so give it at least 20-25GB since it uses the virtual memory or swap

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To Manners:

First, be sure to read the Boot Camp assistant instructions before attempting to create another partition.

Then run the Boot Camp assistant again and select create partition. Now select "restore". That will get everything back to OS X if by chance a BC partition was created on the last attempt.

The size of the partition you created was fine. XP Pro with a normal run of applications will use around 5 to 8 Gb of disk space.

Now... Your version of XP Pro may not be an eligible version to install via Boot Camp. Be sure you understand which versions are supported before attempting another install. For example, you can not use a restore or recovery disk, nor a disk with SP 1. And especially for Pro, you can not use a "corporate" version. It must be a full SP2 copy, either OEM system builder's or MS boxed.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys,

I have an even bigger problem now.
After my first attempt to partition I decided to start again by restoring the drive to MAC OS X (and removing the Windows partition). I started Boot Camp Assistant again and used a geniune version of Win XP Pro SP2. Everything was working correctly adn it got to the blue screen that requests to choose which partition to format. I choose the C: drive (the Win partition) and to format with NTFS. It started up correctly and went through the formatting process.

Once it completed the process it went to a blank black screen and froze for about 1.5 hrs. I decided to shut it down and turn it back on. Again it froze. I shut it down again and removed the Win XP CD upon start up. It then went to start in MAC OS X but nothing happened. Eventually, instead of bringing up the little Apple icon what appeared was a folder icon with a question mark that was flashing. I'm guessing it can't recognise the MAC OS X to boot up. Has Boot Camp partitioned the entire drive in NTFS for Windows?

Again I shut down and restarted using the MAC OS X Install DVD but it went to a black screen with the text: "No Bootable Device: Insert boot disk and press any key". I inserted the MAC OS X Install disk and pressed keys but nothing happens.

I dont know what has happened or how to return it to the standard MAC OS X. Can anyone assist?

OP
M
Reaction score
Disaster: Boot Camp May have partitioned my whole drive for Win XP

Hi,

I have a huge problem after having used Boot Camp to partition for Win XP Pro.

I have a new iMac, only got it last week.

I used Boot Camp to partition 10GB for Win XP Pro SP2 ( I have a geniune version), it was all going fine and I got to the blue screen requesting to choose which partition to format. I chose the correct C: partition to format as NTFS. It went through the formatting and when it got to the end it went to a blank black screen and froze for about 1.5 hrs. I decided to shut down and restart. It went through the Windows Setup again (as the CD was still in). Again it froze, so after a while I shut down again and restarted, this time I ejected the CD straight away.

It attempted to boot up MAC OS X and instead of getting the Apple icon in the middle of the screen I got a blinking folder with a question mark. I'm guessing Boot Camp may have swiped out the entire drive and formatted it as NTFS ready for a Windows OS.

After a while it went to a black screen with the text: " No bootable device - Insert boot disk and press any key." Fearing I lost MAC OS X I wanted to reinstall it (screw Win XP) and inserted the MAX OS X Install DVD. It didn't work. I've tried several times shutting down and restarting and I keep getting the No Bootable Device message and nothing happens.

Can anyone please help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears that you may have formatted the entire drive rather than just the partition for XP Pro. I don't know why it did that if you correctly selected Drive C (Boot Camp partition) as depicted in the instructions on page 9:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup.pdf

In any event, you need to re-install OS X and start over:

1. Boot the machine with your Leopard DVD 1 (hold down C key)

2. From the top menu, select Utilities - Disk Utilities.

3. Erase the entire disk.

4. Format the entire disk as one partition using HFS +. At the same time name the hard drive = Macintosh HD.

5. Press on and install applications.

If the install disk is not responding... try resetting the PRAM. See the following Apple KB article and follow instructions. Link

Post back.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nothing worked.

Boot Camp has certainly formatted my entire hard drive to NTFS (for Windows). I re-booted and held down the 'c' key and then tried to use Disk Utility to erase the NTFS partition but every option was greyed out. I couldn't do anything.

Does anyone have an idiot's step by step guide on reformatting the partition and re-installing MAC OS X via the Terminal (using Command Prompts)?

Apparently taking it to a service provider is going to cost me around $200 to reformat my hard drive and install MAC OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Don't select "erase" for the volume, select the whole drive and select "partition". Then select 1 partition with HFS+ and go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Eek! that sounds scary! If that happened to me, I'd probably run around screaming for some new point to my life - and my poor old dear old sad old Mac!

(No pressure)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.