Help setting up a network

Reaction score
Hello, I will appreciate your help with this.

I have an iMac G5 ( Mac OSX 10.4.11) and a iBook G4 ( Mac OSX 10.5). The iMac is connected by Ethernet to the cable modem and to a a D-Link router ( DI-824VUP).

I have a very good connection between my desktop and my notebook.

The problem is that a friend from USA ( I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina) is coming to my home, and staying for 2 months. I will have to share the Internet connection with him, but I don't want to share my network with him. I mean I don't want him to have access to my iMac and iBook.

What can be done?

Thanks in advance for your kind advice and help.

Alex

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Is this friend using a Mac or a Windows machine?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you simply share the current network for Internet access to both machines, or do you exchange files back and forth between the two machines?

OP
B
Reaction score
Do you simply share the current network for Internet access to both machines, or do you exchange files back and forth between the two machines?

I share files and the printer between my Macs, I don't want to do it with a third person. I just want him to have access to the Internet with his Mac, but not to have access to my machines.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's what I was afraid of. Have not been able to find a way to have file sharing turned on and password protect the shares to allow another computer access to the network, but not the shares. Bound to be a way, but I don't know it.

OP
B
Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of. Have not been able to find a way to have file sharing turned on and password protect the shares to allow another computer access to the network, but not the shares. Bound to be a way, but I don't know it.

Yes, looks I will have to turn off file sharing.

Don't you think that should be a way? I am amused there is not an option to put a password.

BTW, there is a way to give a suggestion to Apple about this?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, looks I will have to turn off file sharing.

Don't you think that should be a way? I am amused there is not an option to put a password.

BTW, there is a way to give a suggestion to Apple about this?

I'm certain there is, but I've never had to do it, so am not familiar enough with the process to guide you. If this were Windows, it would be another story.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, it looks pretty simple. If you go into System Preferences => Sharing, you can set which user accounts have the ability to access the share and what rights they have to it:

2009-03-18_1641.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did a little experimenting.

Added 'Downloads' to the shared folders on my MBP. Initially it sets up 'Everyone' as 'Read Only'.

Then on my wife's MB, went to check it out and could see all the files within Downloads.
Back on the MBP, changed permissions for 'Everyone' to 'No Access' and not only did the contents of the folder disappear on the MB, but the folder itself is no longer visible on the MB.

I could still use the "Connect As..." button on her MB and enter my MBP user name and password to gain access.

So, I would say on each machine, for all of your shared folders, change the permissions for 'Everyone' to 'No Access'. Then through the 'Connect As...' button you will still be able to access those shared folders by entering the user name and password of the other machine. But your guest will not, and he'll still have access to the internet.

You can experiment with this yourself to test it out before he arrives. Looks like it will work though.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks I will try this.

Anyway, that's Leopard. I will have to see what it looks in Tiger. Since the desktop have Tiger and the iBook have Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.