Airport Extreme and Old Computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
I have two (almost) brand new Mac's with wireless N cards in them. My mother uses an old HP with windows ME in it. I am considering buying the Airport Extreme, but I'm worried if wheter or not I will be able to hardwire my mothers computer through cat-5 cables because her hardware is outdated. She does, however, have an ethernet port, but it is an old computer and I heard that you have to have a newer one for it to work. Does anyone know about this? I'm worried if I buy this router my mom won't be able to connect to the internet.

So to clarify:
I need a new wireless router
My mom has an old HP w/ Windows ME
I'll connect fine through wifi
Will my mom have trouble to connect to the internet through the ports on the back of the Airport Extreme.

Thanks for any help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any particular reason you want the Airport Extreme? Almost any good wireless router should suffice. I'm using a D-Link with my system and it works well. As for your Mother's HP... I can't off hand remember if Win ME has a connection wizard to help you get setup on the net. I believe it does, but it's been years since I used ME. As for it being old, I know some folks still running Win 98. :)

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
I want the Airport Extreme because 1) I haven't seen one router with good reviews, and 2) the ease of setup using my Mac.

Reaction score
I have a similar situation, but my modem and router are all in one unit and coverage in the house has been patchy. I don't know whether to connect the time capsule to the old pc by ethernet in the area where reception has been bad ,if I do this do I select set up new network on airport utility?I want to share the printer in this same room. modem/router is not where I want the printer to be. Or to add time capsule to existing network? We have 2 macbooks and soon to add a 3rd. Thanks ,hope someone can help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.