Classic?

J

jacnran

Hi everyone! My husband just purchased two iMacs and we know nothing about them! My husband's has os 9 and we are able to use most of our software that also runs on our windows 'puters. The other iMac has os 10 and when we try to run this same software it says that we need Classic and that we need to install os9. We have an os9 disk and have tried to install it, but whenever we do it says to choose a destination disk, but the arrows are gray and it gives us no options. At the bottom of this screen it also reads 'a valid destination volume can't be found. To continue the installation process, mount a valid volume for software installation.' After you all quit laughing 'cuz this is such an easy question, we would appreciate any help you can give us and hope I posted this in the correct forum!
Thanks a bunch!
Jaci

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
You need to install OS 9 or "classic" from the OS X iMac OS X install CDs

Reaction score
What model imac and what size drive is in it?

The older imacs had problems with larger drives as in the system could only be installed on a partition of less than 8 gig and it had to be the first partition.

Also, are these OS9 system install cd's or system restore cd's?

OP
J

jacnran

witeshark said:
You need to install OS 9 or "classic" from the OS X iMac OS X install CDs

Hi! I put the OS X discs in and couldn't find classic listed anywhere. Do I have to install the whole thing again? Ok, quit laughing!
Thanks!
Jaci

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
jacnran said:
Hi! I put the OS X discs in and couldn't find classic listed anywhere. Do I have to install the whole thing again? Ok, quit laughing!
Thanks!
Jaci

:D :D :D

ok, that's it for the laughing... :cool:

Seriously now:
Which kind of iMacs do you have, and which software CDs/DVDs came with it? It would be easier tracking down your problem with a little more information.

OP
J

jacnran

Avalon said:
:D :D :D

ok, that's it for the laughing... :cool:

Seriously now:
Which kind of iMacs do you have, and which software CDs/DVDs came with it? It would be easier tracking down your problem with a little more information.

The one I am trying to install OS 9 on is a G3 special edition 'tangerine' iMac--400 MHZ, 10 gig hard drive, 256 megabytes of RAM. It came with two CDs labeled OSX 1 & 2. I believe that they are copies as they have stick on labels that look obviously printed from a printer. Don't know if that would make a difference. Obviously, we don't know much about Apple, but when I put the OSX CD in, there were several folders on it and I couldn't find one labeled classic and couldn't find classic in any of the folders.
Thank you sooooo much for your help! Are you ready to wring my neck now?!
Jaci

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Well, I'm sure that the local "self appointed" software police are chompimg at the bit to tell you that you don't have a legal copy of OS X. I'm not an officer, so…

If none of your cd's have OS 9 then you will have to purchase an OS 9.2 install disc. They can be easily found on eBay.

Gook Luck on your new Mac adventure! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Yep, immdb's right, you need an OS9 install disk.

On CDs/DVDs delivered with Macs (called also "Software restore disks") there is always a copy of OS9, for Classic support. But on the separately sold OS X disks, Apple didn't include OS 9 anymore with the latest releases. Not sure if that started with OS X 10.2, but with 10.3, the definitely didn't include OS9 anymore.

And, as you're at it, get a LEGAL copy of OS X... :closed:

Oh, and another tip: Get more memory if you want to have a nice experience with OS X. 256MB is really the lowest limit, even on a G4 OS X runs sluggish with that little ammount of memory.

Reaction score
Your other option would be to connect the two computers together with an ethernet cable and copy the 'system folder' 'Applications' folder and if you like the 'documents' folder from the OS9 imac to the OSX imac. But then it is nice to have the original software CD's and they don't cost much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.