Connecting my Mac to my friends Vista!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Right how hard can this actually be!?!?!?! I have also searched the forum for other threads answering this question but they are all just littered with, "I'm having the same problem and would like to know the answer!" but they never actually give the solution!

Here's the deal,

I'm trying to send files (big ones and loads of them) to a friend using vista (home edition) by plugging my ethernet cable into her port (oh! cheeky! ;D) But regardless how hard I try it won't work! (I've tried flowers, chocolates, Marvin Gaye... right! enough already!)

I've managed to do this Mac to Mac with another friend and I can just browse his computer from my computer freely and take and give what I want to it. Now surely there must be a way to do this from Mac to PC.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, have you setup the IP information on both systems?

Are you able to ping either system from the other?

Most newer computers have ethernet cards that will do auto mdi/mdix so you don't need a crossover cable - but first I'd check IP addresses (and netmasks), then I'd check the firewalls (make sure neither is blocking the ports for file sharing), then I'd make sure one of you is sharing a folder the other can access...

First make sure they can ping each other, then go from there.

OP
hojkoff_101
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Well, have you setup the IP information on both systems?

Are you able to ping either system from the other?

Most newer computers have ethernet cards that will do auto mdi/mdix so you don't need a crossover cable - but first I'd check IP addresses (and netmasks), then I'd check the firewalls (make sure neither is blocking the ports for file sharing), then I'd make sure one of you is sharing a folder the other can access...

First make sure they can ping each other, then go from there.

Oh my goodness, I have no idea what most of that meant. I know what a ping is but I'm not sure how to do it. What I was really after is a step by step guide of how to connect the 2 computers together.

I think that mac forums could do with a wiki section on how to do things like this cos I'm sure I'm not the only one who's interested in doing this. There are a lot of very smart people on this forum who could defiantly make a section like that work really well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.