Constant background sound

Reaction score
Hi guys

I recently upgraded to Leopard + iLife09, and have noticed (well, can't fail to notice!!) that there is a constant sound now in the background, a bit like water lapping against a boat, or someone having a bath! I have absolutely no idea where it came from, nor how to get rid of it! I've checked 'sounds' and 'screensavers' but can't seem to find the root of the problem...

Anyone have any ideas? It's driving me nuts!!

Many thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go to System Preferences -> Accounts. Click on your user name, and then select the Login Items tab. If you have any programs listed, turn them off one at a time and reboot or all at once and reboot to see if the sound goes away.

I don't know what else could be causing the sound unless you have some program that's generating it and running in the background.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Make sure you've re-booted. I've had some cheapo (not very will programmed) games, who's sound will continue playing in the background after closing until I restarted the machine (and couldn't find anything in Activity Monitor to shut them down).

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, both - I've done what you both recommended and I'm pleased to report that the annoying sound has now gone, which is great. Many thanks for your tips!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.