Recomendations - Image Suite

Reaction score
Hi guys i was wondering if you can help

at the moment i have a Intel "white" Imac 2g with 2G Ram

i am using this for my image editing, it is ok, but for the amount that i use it i find that it is slow.

i am looking at a good mac option preferably with dual screen, but since the new mac options i am confused.

do i go for a mac book pro with a new LCD screen?

or do i save up for a mac pro and then save up for dual screens?

i was wondering what options and solutions you have found or use.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Go with a high spec macbook pro.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks,

so a 15 inch or 17inc spec'd out mac book pro would be the best solution with a 24inch second display?

i have also heard that the new mac books dont have firewire 400 ports is there away of converting 800 to 400

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
thanks,

so a 15 inch or 17inc spec'd out mac book pro would be the best solution with a 24inch second display?

i have also heard that the new mac books dont have firewire 400 ports is there away of converting 800 to 400

What do you need firewire ports for?

OP
C
Reaction score
at the moment i have my complete itunes libary on a ext hard drive, and i would like to keep this the same, i know most fire wire drives now are 400, but apple seems to prefer 800 now... :(

because it has been around 4 years since i have been looking to buy i am a little out of the loop.

i guess the mac book would be the best solution, i guess i want to see how well a 15 or preferably a 17 and a 24inch lcd will work, as a image editing station.

the rest is just minor things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
^ Depends, but you might not require the horspower of a Mac Pro.

I would recommend a 15" MacBook Pro with a 24" Display. A Main working Display, and a smaller display with other stuff. Good enough?

Look to it if the hardware is okay. I think its mainly RAM thats low for you. Otherwise Intel 2G iMac should be powerful enough.

Apple says 4GB is the max the MacBook Pro 15" can go. I think it should do 8GB. If thats not the case, you might hit a wall with 4GB shortly. 8GB might be required. And 17" does 8GB, it has been said.

BUT, it would be stupid to invest on a 17" MacBook Pro if you are thinking of carrying it around. And if you are not carrying it around, a Mac Pro should be better.

Weigh the options and make the decision. :)

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for the responses

you feel the 17 is too big to be portable in your opinion?

hummm

if we took the mac book pro out of the equation what would be the best dual screen option, i have been using a powerbook g4 with a cinema display for my work and i have got used to the dual screen set up.

the mac pro for me is the ultimate computer but knowing that it is a heck of an investment i would want it fully kitted, and not do it half arsed.

my current imac is a 2ghz with 2gb ram

i know i need more and i will probably get it upgraded after i have got it, 8 would be amazing

i am really greatful for your responses,

p.s. could you recomend any extra i should look at as i will be looking at things like tablets and extra tools for photoshop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
From the sounds of it, you are not a professional photoshop user. In which case any of the new Mac's with 4gb of RAM will be more than sufficient for you for at least a few years.

And what is the reason for dual monitors? The only reason I could see it being useful is if you were using a macbook pro. But an Imac's screen would be plenty big enough for what you will need.

The only real tool you need for photoshop is a wacom tablet or variation there of. Using a tablet is not easy at first but once you figure it out you will not be able to live without it.

OP
C
Reaction score
cheers for your responses.

i know it sounds lame me asking these questions, i am not to shabby on photoshop as i am currently working as a image retoucher for nike, how ever i have never spec'd out a new machine with this intention.

the dual screen use is for two reason really,
1: extra space
2: its pimp :)

i currently use a a5 graphics tablet from wacom, to be honest it does the job but is small, i have never used one bigger so i dont quite know what is "standard" a4? a3?

thanks in advance

OP
C
Reaction score
that is awsome,

so you could use that as the 2nd display and have the laptop screen as a tool/email/dvd screen!

does it have to be mirrored or can it be a expanded desktop?

thanks for all your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
more than one Mac
i do not believe it has to be mirrored , and it has quite a few programmable buttons to set up your most used tools. You tube it and see it in action

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.