Running Playstation 2 games on my laptop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 17" 1.67 GHz 1.5 GB RAM 100GB 60GB 5G iPod
Is there a way to connect a PS2 to my Powerbook G4? Do I need a fast processor? Is a there a program I need to be able to run it? Thanks

M

meltbanana314

I have heard of Playstation 2 emulators for OS X, but I'm pretty sure that they're not going to give you the best experience of playing on a real Playstation 2, especially because your PowerBook screen is smaller than a television.

S

skyoboy

pcsx (ps emulator) port to OS X

meltbanana314 said:
I have heard of Playstation 2 emulators for OS X, but I'm pretty sure that they're not going to give you the best experience of playing on a real Playstation 2, especially because your PowerBook screen is smaller than a television.

Here's a link to an early beta of a PCSX port to OS X:

http://pcsx.gpost.dk/about.php

User reviews can be found here:

http://mac-psx.hansr.net/

Not sure how it works with ps2 games but ps1 titles work fairly well. On my new PB video and audio sometimes are out of sync. My old PM9600/G4-800(Sonnet) doesn't echibit such problems (maybe because it's slower?).

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much skyoboy! But I was wondering if there was any way to connect the PS2 to the computer and run it off of there. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Highlights:
• 125-channel cable-ready analog TV tuner • Watch high-quality live TV via uncompressed signals • USB 2.0 interface, for high-speed data transfer • Gaming enthusiasts rejoice! Because of the marginal latency during live playback, you can hook up your gaming console to your Mac and enjoy smooth playback

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
YES! Thank you so much trpnmonkey41!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reviving...

Has anybody here done this with their mac? I know you can do it on a pc, but does the OS make any difference? Also, how much latency is "marginal?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
ceiling, same Q here. I put in a request with the wife for an elgato eyeTV as a birthday gift next week.

But I wonder about an emulator... and if a PS2 (or at least analog usb controller) would work with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a search and found this thread, instead of creating a new thread. Then I saw the date, 11-05, and though "oh cool, it's recent". I just realized it was 2005 =(

Reaction score
glulio - I was wondering about the eyeTV too brother... Everytime someone asks about hooking up this or that game system to their computer, eyeTV always gets mentioned.

But NO-ONE ever gives a review about it, will someone just tell us from experience if eyeTV can but used to play my game system on my computer???

As far as emulators go, Snex9x works like magic, I have two 10 dollar usb pads from compUSA and about 300 roms, everyone always wants to rekindle the oldschool days on the powerbook when they come over. I've tried a N64 emulator for goldenyeye and it dogged out, I imagine anything over a supernintendo (psx, ps2, dreamcast...) will run horrible too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They say an emulator must be 5x as powerful as the original platform to play in real time. The PS2 came out a long time ago, I wonder if the C2Ds can pull it off. I know of a PS2 emulator for PC:
http://www.pcsx2.net/
It must run just fine in Bootcamp, but I wonder how so under Parallels or VMware.

I could put a 13"tv on my desk... but I'd rather just use my iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.