• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 08 not allowing me to import movies

Reaction score
Hey guys,

new here - i'm using iMovie 08, and never had any issues till today when its decided to stop letting me import movies.

I imported about 7 or 8 MP4's just last week, but today....nothing. Wont let me!!

Can not figure out why, searched the heck out of google, NO LUCK!

I'm running Tiger, 10.5.6 - 2x2.66Ghz Dual Core Intel, 2Gb ram, 1TB HDD. I'm getting iMovie 09 in a week or two, but I really want this fixed now - I've tried playing with my soundcard (Behringer BCD3000), i've updated ALL softwares - Quicktime, Flip4Mac etc etc...no luck...

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do you get any error messages by any chance? Is it perhaps the movies themselves that are problematic (ie. the problem is limited to those particular movies)? Can you import the movies that did work before?

OP
M
Reaction score
Do you get any error messages by any chance? Is it perhaps the movies themselves that are problematic (ie. the problem is limited to those particular movies)? Can you import the movies that did work before?

Nope - can't even import the videos from before. I don't think the problem is the movies - and nope, getting no error messages.
When I import, the import screen comes up which loads the bar as if it's importing, but then it dissapears and nothing. no error message, no imported clips, nothing.

Help!? its driving me mad!

Reaction score
I have the same problem, i did get an error message something about needing an xvid codec so i clicked the link downloaded/installed as per instructions and i am still unable to import a film

OP
M
Reaction score
Just installed iLife 09 - same problem!!! aaaaah...im going mad here!!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My suggestion would be if you upgraded to do a clean install - uninstall the current version and install 09 clean. If there aren't any error messages, there's not much else I can tell you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Might try removing the iMovie plist file.

Go to your home folder / Library /Preferences

Move the file 'com.apple.iMovie.plist' to the desktop. Log out and back in. See if that works. If it does, you can trash the file. If not, you can drag it back where it was.

OP
M
Reaction score
Might try removing the iMovie plist file.

Go to your home folder / Library /Preferences

Move the file 'com.apple.iMovie.plist' to the desktop. Log out and back in. See if that works. If it does, you can trash the file. If not, you can drag it back where it was.

Nope - Not that either. It seriously is mind boggling. One day its working perfectly fine - the next, it spits in my face. :|

Any other tips? - I read somewhere that by loading up garageband and playing a couple keys, and then jumping back into imovie does the trick - even something THAT crazy didnt work!!

HEEEELLLLPPP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'd look at removing any add-on codec tools such as Perian. Think if you have installed anything new lately.

Also start up the Console.app in the Utilities folder and then try a failing import. Look for any messages appear in the console logs.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'd look at removing any add-on codec tools such as Perian. Think if you have installed anything new lately.

Also start up the Console.app in the Utilities folder and then try a failing import. Look for any messages appear in the console logs.

Using the console - I see ALOT of this when importing into imove:

"Unable to find 3ivx library!"

and......

18/03/2009 23:50:42 quicklookd[3870] [QL ERROR] 'Creating thumbnail' timed out for '<QLThumbnailRequest /Users/Fash/Movies/VIDEO2.AVI>'

Now the thing is - VIDEO2.AVI - isn't even the clip im trying to import, the one I'm importing is one which I have imported before and its an MP4!!

iMovie is killin me. slowly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The second error 'quickloadd' is the process used to create thumbnails for the QuickLoad feature in Leopard. I would expect that the next time you see that error you'll see another files name. Apparently you can turn it off but it isn't recommended. Anyway, I have my doubts that is the issue.

The first error suggests you have some kind of third party Divx codec loaded. I'd try removing that and rebooting. Look for instructions from where you got it.

OP
M
Reaction score
The second error 'quickloadd' is the process used to create thumbnails for the QuickLoad feature in Leopard. I would expect that the next time you see that error you'll see another files name. Apparently you can turn it off but it isn't recommended. Anyway, I have my doubts that is the issue.

The first error suggests you have some kind of third party Divx codec loaded. I'd try removing that and rebooting. Look for instructions from where you got it.

I've got Perian running - could it be that? I've checked and its updated to the latest release. - I'm sure there are millions of others running Perian, but no one with this problem!? this is weird!

Thanks for your help so far guys, but still no luck. I'll disable Perian when I get home, and update you guys.

Until then - any further help is appreciated.

MegaThanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.