Migration Assistant

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm trying to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from a Power Mac G4 to a MacBook, because the monitor on the G4 went out a while back. However, one of the first steps is giving me problems. Is there a way to hold down the "T" key and restart the computer from the keyboard at the same time? I've tried restarting from the power button and holding down the "T" key, but it doesn't seem to work. Maybe you can't transfer files without having a screen present on the G4. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bert

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does the MacBook have a firewire port? If it does, hook the Power Mac to the MacBook via firewire and boot up in target mode. Mount the Power Mac hard drive on the MacBook desktop and run Migration Assistant. It should work without having a working monitor on the Power Mac.

Target Mode Link.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
The way you are describing it, it seems like you are holding down the "T" key from the MacBook. Hold down the "T" key on the G4 keyboard, while connected to the MacBook with firewire. The MacBook should detect it as an external hard drive.

If you don't have firewire, I don't know what you can do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.