• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows users ignorant? Or are Mac users arrogant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
There is a popular assumption made by people on this board that if Windows users knew about Mac OS, they would switch, I don't believe that is true. Also people tend to think that all Windows users have problems with spyware/viruses, which I don't believe to be true.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I think lots of Windows users aren't even aware of the security problems of Windows. Some of the people that call into these radio stations for computer help think that they are protected from everything by their anti-virus program. I even tell family members not to use IE but they look at me like aliens coming out of my ears. I tell my mom that she needs to scan computer for spyware, and she replies that she has nothing to hide. Yet, spyware goes way beyond a company learning about users; some of it is very dangerous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I own both Windows and a Mac, and I fit into neither of these categories.

This poll is flawed.

There is a subset of technology snobs who will always feel their environment is best-- whether it's Apple, Wintel, AS/400, UNIX, etc. Jeez, I know a guy who swears that there will never be a platform as wonderful as DEC Alpha running OSF/1.

As a whole, I find Mac owners to be very happy with their platform of choice, perhaps moreso than Windows users who tend to view their computing environment as a necessary evil. To polarize either camp to an extreme is unfair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Ahh, don't forget the Amiga zealots. They're feisty! ;)

OP
J

Jefe3223

i agree that there are both ignorant and arrogant mac & pc users. Being surrounded my a majority of pc users, I get browbeaten all the time with how stupid I am, just because I have a mac. I have nothing against windows (i think there are some good programs for it) and I kinda just brush criticism off, now. However, I know some people that don't care if macs or pcs are better, they use what they are most comfortable with. Whatever you've been trained on (for the vast majority of the average people) you'll probably stick with (if you fall into the demographic information of young, middle, old....that's a topic for another post, though...). Long story short: I understand where DV'SiBOOKG4 was going for, I've been in fits of rage over people too, but it isn't the best poll I've seen....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Eleven said:
Well basically, if you handled your life in such a way that you can afford those things (without eating beans), you might not be a better person but you do have a grip on the right side of the sword...

It's called having goals and fight for it.

Nothing wrong with having goals, but having a need to show off your acquisitions is shallow at best.

OP
C

Cloudane

Combination of many things, I think. Most of the Windows users I deal with either haven't heard of the Mac (ignorant) or have, but prefer the peace of mind that they're using the same type of machine as everybody else (even though they're mostly compatible, and people acknowledge this, they still say "but everyone else uses Windows" - it's definitely a peace of mind thing).

The only idiotic "mac suxx0r l0l0l!!" people I've seen are online, and well... hiding behind the internet it another subject entirely!

I like to think of myself as an expert user (I grew up with computers as a main hobby since about the age of 4 - some 18 years ago - much to the loss of fun when I was at school!) and as such I know to respect the pros and cons of each platform and use the correct tool for the job. I have a bigass PC for gaming and things that are PC-only, a Powerbook for mose other things and Linux for a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.