• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows users ignorant? Or are Mac users arrogant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Come on, how can you fit several million people into those categories? I'd really like it explained to me were this "Cult of the Mac" developed. A computer is a tool, not a religion. These discussions border on the rediculous. Yes, to placate your ego, your computer is nice. But owning it doesn't make you more intellegent, hipper, cooler, or part of the in crowd. It means you bought a computer.

OP
I

iDVFH.

I never said it made me any of those things. But everyone knows, and it will continue forever that you do sort of develop a Bias towards Windows users and they do the same. Not all feel that way but many doo..go into a Mac and PC chat and you tell me what you think..

OP
D

Danster

It's like supporting a footbal team, which team do you support?

Windows just tend to fall on their arses all the time while the apple team are super fit and have the best tactics. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm sure there are arrogant Mac users and ignorant PC users. But I'm also sure there are arrogant PC users and ignorant Mac users.

I really don't understand the point of the poll?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
schweb said:
I'm sure there are arrogant Mac users and ignorant PC users. But I'm also sure there are arrogant PC users and ignorant Mac users.

I really don't understand the point of the poll?

Awesome way of putting it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
In my experience, it seems most windows users are ignorant about mac saying things like mac sucks, when I ask why, they say because it does having never used one. there are just as many ignorant people on mac as there is on pc. I havent seen a lot of arrogant mac owners, not in the way of " Im smarter cause I use a mac", but I have seen it in comparing hardware and os integration/performance. though I must say that windows users are usually ignorant about more in general than mac users.

OP
E

Eleven

dan828 said:
Yes, to placate your ego, your computer is nice. But owning it doesn't make you more intellegent, hipper, cooler, or part of the in crowd..

Whatever you like, own or afford is a reflection of what/who you are.

As much as I agree the stuff you own doesn't define you as a person the person you are defines the choices you make.

And the better person you are the better choices you make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Some windows users are just plain stubborn and in a denial IMO

OP
M

meltbanana314

witeshark said:
Some windows users are just plain stubborn and in a denial IMO

The same thing could be said for some Mac users...

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
On the forums, we mostly hear about people having to defend themselves from windows users. You don't usually see mac users going up to windows users saying, "Windows Suck". I would never do it, but some of you might, not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Plenty of both on both sides.

OP
I

IChing

A more interesting poll would be who owns both, apple and windows?
who has linux, windows, apple etc. I have both. I liked my pc, overclocking it, adding hardware, gaming, tweaking it which gave me an additional source of income fixing others, etc but I'm more productive in other areas on my powerbook, photoshop, writing, etc.

I think a lot of people here have and use both so
am I more arrogant? The question is loaded and biased.

Reaction score
Neither, everybody chooses what they like best, even if that isn't what you would choose it doesn't make it a bad decision. This world would be a really boring place if everybody thought the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Eleven said:
Whatever you like, own or afford is a reflection of what/who you are.

As much as I agree the stuff you own doesn't define you as a person the person you are defines the choices you make.

And the better person you are the better choices you make.

No. What you own or afford is a reflection of what you buy. If you are buying things to present an image to the outside world then I'm thinkiing you might have a bit of a complex. The "I own a Mac or a BMW or a Rolex" so I'm better than you thinking is pretty ****ed silly if you ask me. I buy things I want and will use and pretty much care less what everyone else feels about it.

If someone looks at my Mac and tells me I'm stupid for buying it then I'd think that the person is jumping on some sort of bandwagon to get an emotional charge and make himself feel better. Hey, good for him, but I'm not going to want to spend time around someone so shallow.

OP
J

jessica

I really don't think either. Windows users can be ignorant and arrogant. Mac users can be the same.
I think it's just what do you like best?

OP
E

Eleven

dan828 said:
No. What you own or afford is a reflection of what you buy. If you are buying things to present an image to the outside world then I'm thinkiing you might have a bit of a complex. The "I own a Mac or a BMW or a Rolex" so I'm better than you thinking is pretty ****ed silly if you ask me. I buy things I want and will use and pretty much care less what everyone else feels about it.

If someone looks at my Mac and tells me I'm stupid for buying it then I'd think that the person is jumping on some sort of bandwagon to get an emotional charge and make himself feel better. Hey, good for him, but I'm not going to want to spend time around someone so shallow.

Well basically, if you handled your life in such a way that you can afford those things (without eating beans), you might not be a better person but you do have a grip on the right side of the sword...

It's called having goals and fight for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It breaks down more basic (haha) then that. Do you want Unix type secure and control or windows registry disaster exposure? It really is that simple

OP
I

iDVFH.

i just happened to do this poll in a fit of rage cause i was being verbally beaten in a Mac and Pc chat and wanted to see what people thought. i used to be a windows person then i switched..im still better with windows cause i havent discovered half of what Mac can do..but Windows users do stereo-type us..they refer to us as a materialistic group of people that put ourselves on a higher pedastal..and of course the never ending rumor that everyone who has a Mac lives in starbucks..i go to starbucks but my laptop isnt in one hand and my "caramel mochiata" in the other

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Many people have a lot of time & money invested in their computers. They could also own printers and scanners etc that don't have Mac drivers available. Those who have taught themselves over many years or have paid for training are not going to jump easily to any new OS either.

As Mac users we can wonder why they put up with all the Malware but many Windows users don't know that Mac's don't pick up all the rubbish, written for windows, out there.
All computers do that, don't they? After all, one of the first questions from many new Mac owners is which anti virus software is the best to use.

People are people, good, bad or indifferent. The type of computer they use makes no difference at all. There are other OS's out there, it's not just a two horse race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.