iMac Display Problem

Reaction score
Display Problem

Hi,

I have the 20 inch desktop iMac with 2.66 Ghz Intel Dual Core, 4 Gb 800 MHz, DDR2 SDRAM and 320 GB HD.

However I have encountered an annoying issue with my iMac display, whenever I use GarageBand and then quit that application my iMacs display is noticeably brighter and this also occurs after playing games such as "Assault Cube" and at other times.

I normally put my iMac to sleep instead of shutting it down. The display brightness returns to normal when I shut down and restart my iMac, But the display brightness does not return to normal when I wake up my iMac from its sleep mode.

This problem immediately occurs again as soon as I use the above applications and at other times.

I have heard reports about other 20 inch iMac users having had display issues and I hope I am not one of them.

Can anyone help me with this annoying problem?:\

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure if the iMac is equipped with an ambient lighting sensor, but am curious if you have this option in your System Preferences => Displays:

2009-03-15_1111.png

If so, try unchecking the box and seeing if the problem persists.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi cwa107,

Thanks for your suggestion, I have checked the Display settings in my System Preferences but my iMac doesn't have the ambient light sensing function, so I am none the wiser as to why it is behaving this way.

Well all I can say is that I am glad its not a major tech issue, as I have not been using my iMac for a long time. But even though this is an annoying problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.