Ethernet adapter not finding cables?:S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC G4 Digital Audio,466 MHz, 768 SDRAM
hi,

ive got a G4 sawtooth running OSX 10.4.10 and i live in university halls with no wireless.

untill recently my internets been slow but working but now, with no settings changed it isnt working atall.

everything i do it says that the cable is not plugged in, ive tryed 3 other cables, 2 of them brand new and still my mac says theres nothing plugged in.

network diagnosis and the network option in prefferences tell me the same thing and my university assure me that the internet is running better then ever.

!!!HELP!!!

ive tryed everything!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Have you tried changing out the Ethernet cable with a different one? Did the university's IT staff check the patch on the patch panel within the building? Did they do a port check?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, an IT guy came intoday.

he used his laptop to plug into my data hole and it just worked. my settings are fine and his wire didnt work on my mac either!

is there some way of getting a new network card for my PPC mac? mines part of the motherboard!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would think you'd be able to get a PCI NIC for that machine, but just poking around, I'm not seeing anything. It's going to be tough trying to find a new systemboard for a ten year old machine. It will likely be more cost-effective just replacing it altogether.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for helping:)

i got a USB to ethernet adapter that works on mac, i've installed it but its telling me that it may not be plugged in aswell:S

i dont understand why its not working.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If the USB to Ethernet adapter truly is OSX compatible and you installed the drivers and still not getting a network, something has to be wrong in OSX. What version of OSX are you running? If I missed it sorry. Do you have the Install CD for OSX that is on your Sawtooth?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im running OSX. 10.4.11, and i can get my hands on an install disk no problem but if installing the OS will is the way to get me my internet back, is there a way of not losing any of my data from the install?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.