mini dvi to dvi adapter

Reaction score
I set up my macbook to connect to my tv (a sharp aquos) using a mini dvi to dvi adapter with a dvi to hdmi into the TV. It worked fine.

I didn't use it for a while, changed the desktop background and possibly made some other changes to the desktop. Several weeks later i try to reconnect to watch a movie and all i get is the previous desktop background minus any icons, mouse cursor etc. When i start the movie, just the desktop background.

Any help on how to fix this much appreciated.

:Grimmace:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have "spaces" enabled? If so, go to System Preferences and turn it off. Also make sure your display preference is set to "mirror" your desktop not extend it.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Spaces not enabled. How do i do the second part- mirror my desktop?

Thanks

Reaction score
Go to your system preferences and click on "Displays"
In there, look for a thing called "extended" and change that to mirrored :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Go to your system preferences and click on "Displays"
In there, look for a thing called "extended" and change that to mirrored :)

Thanks. However, there is no such option in my displays area. The only things that can be changed are resolutions, brightness, colors, and another option - detect displays.

Furhermore, when i hooked the mac up to the TV and clicked on displays, the menu on the macbook screen and the menu on the TV were different. The menu on the mac screen was "lcd display" while that on the TV was "HDMI". This "HDMI" was the only thing that appeared on the TV, no dock or cursor.

Still confused, though have understood all the help and instructions here, but to no avail.

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorted

Robbertv, thanks

I found the option to mirror display from the drop down displays menu; as I had displays showing in the menu bar, the mirror option didn't show in preferences.

Cheers.
:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.