Macbook hook up to TV

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently purchased a host of cables (DVI to HDMI) as well as a cable for audio. I can get the picture perfect onto the TV, however, i cannot seem to get the audio portion to work. I have a cable that plugs into my headphone jack in my computer, and i have tried plugging the audio plugs into every combination possible, with no luck.

Any suggestions? Do i have to find input info on the TV or change any settings on my Macbook?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're using HDMI for video, for example port # HDMI 2 on your TV, then you'll need to plug the audio also into the HDMI 2 audio ports. Many TV's do not have separate audio ports associated with their HDMI connections, because the assumption is that the audio is also being transported via the HDMI cable.

If this is the scenario with your TV,then you'll need to run the audio to your A/V receiver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.