• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Is the Sony Handycam HDR-XR520V compatible with Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Made a decision to replace my old camcorder and went to a Sony shop in town. ( I live in Belgium )
Had a look at the Sony Handycam HDR-XR520V, tried it and I like it very much.

When I asked the salesman if it came with software for Mac or if it could be connected to a Macbook Pro, the answer was negative. He did not seem very confident when he said that, so I am in doubt.

Has anyone around here have any experience with this device and know if it can be connected to my MBP ?
If the Sony turns out to be a no-go, any recommendations for a good camcorder that I can connect to the Mac.

Much appreciated.

Cheers
McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
From Sony's website:

HDR-XR520V | HDR-XR520V 240GB High Definition Handycam® Camcorder | Sony | SonyStyle USA

Software
Supplied Software :
PMB Ver.4.2.00 Supports Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack4 (SP4), Windows XP Service Pack3 (SP3)(32bit) Windows Vista Service Pack1 (SP1)(32bit/64bit). Not supported by Mac OS.
Does that mean that the camera won't be able to have its footage captured by iMovie or FCP? No, it doesn't.
It just means that the software that comes with the camera won't run under Mac OS X.

OP
McBie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
DB,

Thanks for the swift reply ....
I also saw that on Sony's website, but I was thinking that there might be differences between countries when it comes to accessories and software ...

I know from previous experiences that in Belgium the shops do not have the same stuff as in US or UK...

Am currently checking other sources and I might go back to the Sony shop with my MBP and see how far we get....

Cheers
McBie

OP
McBie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Update ...

Went to the Sony shop again, this time with my MBP and asked the salesman if we could shoot a few minutes of film and some still pictures.

Connected the camcorder to the Mac via USB and iMovie09 was happy ... imported the film and the pictures nicely.

There is some setting for NTSC or PAL, and I 'll figure that out later.

One final thing to do and that is convince my financial controller ( my wife ) on purchasing the Sony camcorder -:)

Cheers
McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.