• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVCHD/DTS Capture

Reaction score
Hi All,

I apologise if this has been covered, i have seen a lot of posts about AVCHD capture however still have questions.

I have the Sony HDR11 (think that's the model) and would like to capture the HD video and DTS sound from my cam. Looking at the posts and paying around with FCE it seems that this product converts from AVCHD into Apple format. Is it a safe assumption that this down conversion is done at a cost to the video/sound quality? I have captured hours of African safari which i do not want to sacrifice the quality off....

Is there a product for the Mac that will capture AND edit the AVCHD/DTS without converting? If so, what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't know about the sound. The spec page for FCE does not mention 5.1 surround sound. The FCP (Studio) page does. This may be a pro level thing.

The video conversion is to a very high quality, so you wouldn't likely notice loss in quality. Don't think of it as a down conversion. It is only a conversion, in this case, to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec), which will create large files.

The only conversions that do not suffer from loss are when converting from one lossless format to another. This is unusual even in the pro world.

If you post that African safari footage to a public site, please let us know about it.

Finally, when you mention your camera model, don't think that is the model, look at the camera which should have it printed somewhere. I had to guess to look up some information on it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Xtep, thanks for your input. I've been doing some research and understand that this conversion will consume a large amount of disk space, as such i've bought an external scratch disk to use.

It seems that in Pro (like Express) it will take a 5.1 source from the Cam and downmix it to stereo, which is REALLY annoying as i can't see an easy method for extracting both video/audio and have it sync correctly in the one app (not keen on the idea of having to use a seperate app to extract the 5.1 and then overlap with the video later....this seems like a backward step).

Does anyone know of an app that will retain the 5.1 audio? Provided there is no notable difference to the HD video i don't mind having to convert the AVCHD prior to editing, but not at a cost of a downmixed stereo track.

Yes you are correct, it is the HDR-SR11 ;-)

OP
A
Reaction score
I have one more question on the import. If i copy the files directly from the Cam, would i maintain the 5.1 audio or would PCE/P downmix to stereo when i try to open them??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.