changed passwords, still can't login

Reaction score
Quick version:
Even though I can change passwords on an account I cannot login to the account with the new passwords (or the old one). I have tried changing the passwd with both in System Prefs and using "sudo passwd" in the Terminal.

Longer Story:
I recently changed passwords on my main account (call it "acct1") using the Terminal. However I then couldn't log back in, but luckily could still surf the web with acct2 (not an admin account). I found out how to create a new admin account (call it "acct3") by removing the /var/db/.AppleSetupDone file in single user mode. That worked, but (as I said in the quick version) when I change the password for acct1 in acct3, I still can't log in to acct1.

This is very annoying. Is there any solution or do I just need to copy acct1 files to acct3 and start over? I can't go into an Apple store for at least a week since I'm travelling.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
This is on a MBPro w/ 10.5.6

-Andrew

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why do folks insist on using the Terminal to change passwords? That's what System Preferences - Accounts is for.

Do you have your original install media along with you? Otherwise, you may have to wait until you get back home. Do not copy one account to the other while the password is in Limbo. That will lead to further lockouts and probably a complete re-install.

In the meantime you might want to try this work around - hack: Link

Regards.

OP
Y
Reaction score
broken password

Yes, it was stupid to use the Terminal to change passwords. I already did what is mentioned in the hack-link. This is what is so weird. I have a new admin account, but still can't fix the broken password on the original account. That's why I doubt that the startup disk will help, unless it changes passwords in a different way. I think I have a real messy problem that may require a serious expert since I've already tried friends I consider pretty knowledgeable on both Macs and Unix.

thanks though for the advice on not trying to copy files over. I am tempted (so I can get access to my Calendar!) but will hold off.

Why do folks insist on using the Terminal to change passwords? That's what System Preferences - Accounts is for.

Do you have your original install media along with you? Otherwise, you may have to wait until you get back home. Do not copy one account to the other while the password is in Limbo. That will lead to further lockouts and probably a complete re-install.

In the meantime you might want to try this work around - hack: Link

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, understand. Try this:

Log on using the ROOT account: Link

While logged on as ROOT you'll have access to everything. (all accounts) Copy (don't use move) whatever you need from the account(s) which you can no longer access over to the new Admin account you created.

Log off and log on to the new Admin account. Verify that you can access all your data, programs, files, etc using this account. If everything is OK, log off and log back on as ROOT. Remove the account(s) you no longer need. Log off and log back on to the Admin account.

Hopefully everything will be back to normal. (Keep fingers crossed.) :)

Regards.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I do have root access. Moving all the files is a last resort. Since it's just a broken password, I still have hope that there's a way to fix it and get back to normal.

Also I'd probably want to move the files twice to get the same short username. Though I guess it is possible to change the short username: 1 2

Or ... once I check that my Time Machine backups are OK and complete, I could delete the original account, create a new account with the original username, and then restore it from the backup. This seems safer than moving files around to accounts with different usernames, right? I.e. fewer lost settings, etc.

Thanks,
Andrew

OK, understand. Try this:

Log on using the ROOT account: Link

While logged on as ROOT you'll have access to everything. (all accounts) Copy (don't use move) whatever you need from the account(s) which you can no longer access over to the new Admin account you created.

Log off and log on to the new Admin account. Verify that you can access all your data, programs, files, etc using this account. If everything is OK, log off and log back on as ROOT. Remove the account(s) you no longer need. Log off and log back on to the Admin account.

Hopefully everything will be back to normal. (Keep fingers crossed.) :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.