security updates

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel mini early 2011 4GB
How long will Apple continue making security updates for OSX 10.4? Will they stop when 10.6 is released, or continue for a while, or ??

Thx

Reaction score
a lot of people are still using that operating system and have not migrated to leopard. So as long as there people in the market that uses that OS, the updates will continue at par with leopard to avoid vulnerabilities. Why ask this question?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ask the question because I'm wondering if I want, or need, to update. Tiger does everything I want, and I see nothing new in Leopard I want.

I often prefer software I'm familiar with, as long as it works well and has no adverse security implications due to age.

I remember reading *somewhere*, can't find it now, that security updates will stop when the second new OS is released; that would be 10.6.

Also, looking through the Apple downloads page, I see no recent security updates for 10.3, which suggests that 10.3 updates stopped with 10.5, perhaps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I completely skipped Leopard. My next update will be with the new OS release.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I completely skipped Leopard. My next update will be with the new OS release.
I thought about doing that. But I'd rather jump in around 10.6.5 or so, to avoid the minor issues that usually come with a new OS.

That might be a year away, or whatever. And if my 10.4 security updates stop with the first 10.6, ... thus the original question.

I've almost decided to go ahead and get Leopard, and keep a Tiger clone going just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Tiger will be updated for years to come, judging by how long Jaguar (OSX.2) updates remained in circulation and Panther updates are still available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The last Jaguar (10.2) security update was released when Tiger (10.4) shipped.
The last Panther (10.3) security update was released when Leopard (10.5) shipped.

Doing the math, I would expect Tiger updates to stop when 10.6 ships.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also found a 10.2 update from November 2007, long after 10.4 was released. But just one.

I'm concluding that updates to 10.4 might continue after 10.6 at a greatly reduced rate, whatever that means.

Thanks for the replies. I decided it's best to go ahead update to Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.