Making Application Aliases

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
When I right-click on an app in the application folder, the "Make Alias" option is not there. It is there, however, for any other file in any other folder. Is there a way to make aliases for applications?

Thanks, John

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, and neither works. The "Make Alias" option in the file menu is faded out and not an option. I don't understand why I can't make aliases of applications.

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bump! (I still can't make application aliases.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Do you have permissions to modify the folder the application is in? (Look in the top-right or bottom-right corner of the window. If you see a struck-through pencil icon, then you can't modify that folder, and so you can't put an alias in that folder.)

If that's the case, you'll have to put the alias somewhere else. From the Help file:
Mac Help said:
To create an alias for an item and relocate it in one step, hold down the Command and Option keys while you drag the item’s icon to another folder or to the desktop. Release the mouse button before releasing the Command and Option keys.

Reaction score
Command+option, drag app to where you want alias

Some sort of new 'feature' or something, but I've had the same problem. Maybe because I don't run my mac as an admin 99% of the time? If you hold Command/Apple and Option, then drag the app to a new folder, it creates an alias.

-- Bob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.