issues

Reaction score
my laptop, powerbook g4 1.5ghz 12 inch encountering some issues upon start up... REALLY SLOW almost freezing.

im considering RAM upgrade... but aside from that, i was also considering also reboot (like factory setting using the disc)...

any ideas?

Reaction score
What operating system are you running (i.e. Mac OS X v10.x.x), how much RAM is installed currently, and how much hard drive space is left?

Reaction score
I have a 15" Powerbook G4, installed two new memory cards (2 X 1024 MB) so that I would have 2GB of RAM. However, after installing them, when I turn on the computer and click "About This Mac," it says Memory: 1GB DDR SD RAM. Is it not detecting both cards? How can I fix this?

Reaction score
I have a 15" Powerbook G4, installed two new memory cards (2 X 1024 MB) so that I would have 2GB of RAM. However, after installing them, when I turn on the computer and click "About This Mac," it says Memory: 1GB DDR SD RAM. Is it not detecting both cards? How can I fix this?
The first thing I would try is re-seating the RAM, then try one stick at a time. Sometimes computers will only find half the RAM if it's too high density. Also, your question would be better off on its own separate thread, one with a less generic topic title as "issues".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
Whoa! Does a PowerBook G4 even support 2GB RAM? Thats freakin' awesome.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Whoa! Does a PowerBook G4 even support 2GB RAM? Thats freakin' awesome.

The 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4 uses DDR PC2700 modules, with a maximum 1GB module size in each slot, for a total of 2GB. Not sure why this is surprising, most machines of this vintage can go up to 2GB.

Reaction score
The 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4 uses DDR PC2700 modules, with a maximum 1GB module size in each slot, for a total of 2GB. Not sure why this is surprising, most machines of this vintage can go up to 2GB.
It surprised me too. The iBook G4s that came out later only support 1.25 GB (I think 256 MB is built in).

OP
AudMan
Reaction score
okay... kahlil88 thanks for the reply lol sorry i wasn't on in a while to responed to your original question...

My 12 inch is 1.5 ghz... 512 MB RAM (perhaps upgradeing to its max which is 1.25 GB RAM)... free hard drive space is about 20 gbs... sometimes lower... but ran better lower than it does now?!! and im using 10.4.11...

like i said really slow start up... and my school has everyone running virusscan sh*t and when i open up activity monitor, like 5 of them are running... eating up a lot of space on my RAM.

would it be solved by reverting to factory setting using the disc? any suggestions before i take drastic measures?

Reaction score
My 12 inch is 1.5 ghz... 512 MB RAM (perhaps upgradeing to its max which is 1.25 GB RAM)... free hard drive space is about 20 gbs... sometimes lower... but ran better lower than it does now?!! and im using 10.4.11...

like i said really slow start up... and my school has everyone running virusscan sh*t and when i open up activity monitor, like 5 of them are running... eating up a lot of space on my RAM.

would it be solved by reverting to factory setting using the disc? any suggestions before i take drastic measures?
Anti-virus software eats up system resources like you wouldn't believe. Have you tried disabling it? Most viruses aren't targeted for Mac OS X, and since it's inherently far more secure than Windoze, the chances of having a virus toast your system are almost zero.

OP
AudMan
Reaction score
yeh... tried... tried to delete it completely from my computer to redownload (so only one ran? since school requires it to log onto their network).

only way to delete this software is through terminal... but apparently i can't access it... the icon is gone, i guess i might have deleted it on mistake? (im assuming i can get it back via disc?)

:\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.