Why I don't like the iPod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel + eMac 1.25 GHz + Black Macbook coreduo 2 Ghz
iTunes. I can't stand being forced to use a piece of software I don't like. I have never liked the way it organizes the music. I seeked a player that would allow me to use whatever I wanted. [/QUOTE said:
That's why in its' preferences (options for windows users) you can uncheck "keep iTunes Music folder organized"(which effectively does weird stuff to compilaions,as I like to keep albums in one folder). This is the first thing I do when using a new version of iTunes. Then you're set up to organize your music to your hearts content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Doug , thanx for taking time to defend your position. Having read it I guess you are perhaps misunderstood. I see that we do differ a great deal in not only our musical tastes but our approach to organization.
As a dinosaur I find the music I listen to doesn't care a bit how it's preserved. Lol my collection is only 40 gigs or so and is split down the middle with classic country and OLD blues. Most never even recorded in stereo ! So it just doesn't matter how much make up I put on it....it's still a pig.

As for importing my music I just let iTunes do with it as it may then I go find the artwork and import that ! So yes I do see some of the flaws in iTunes but I guess I have never seen anything else that worked so easy for me.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the spirted debate that your ( and my ) posts have caused and that is all part of the freedom we all have so let us not seek to end it but learn from one another.

Clay

Not too sure our musical tastes are all that different. I'm a guitarist (and play a bit of piano) who's influences are that of guys like Howlin' Wolf, Charlie Christian, Muddy, B.B., T-Bone Walker, Otis Rush etc.. Country on the other hand, I just can't get into so much. But I love Junior Brown.. his style is awesome and his playing equally so.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
...Third, reliable? Define reliability. It's easier for me to step on a CD and break it compared to a HD that is either in my MB or on my desk in an enclosure. Sure, you may have to replace a HD more often than you do a CD but at least HD's are easier to find (especially if you consider replacing an old record) and, as illustrated earlier, the costs of buying a replacement would still be worth it if you take into account the cost/song calculation.

I think that poster meant that in 70 years a (STAMPED not burned) physical CD will still play, compared to a hard drive which likely won't spin up. Of course, that presumes you take good care of your disc, which just boils down to being careful instead of careless as so many people are with their discs. I'm also presuming some kind of hardware will still be around to play the discs on. We don't really know the longevity of copying files from HDD to HDD every few years. Sometimes the original file is just corrupt and you have to hope your EXTRA backups of that file aren't.

So we should do like one group and print representations of digital files onto archival paper. Then our great-to-the-100th-generation descendants could still enjoy such classic music as Motorhead singing "Love Me Like A Reptile" ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.