Brand new 24" iMac, just works... almost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Hi everyone.

I received my brand new iMac yesterday and am one of the lucky ones who got upgraded to a better machine.

While it is amazing and I'd still recommend it to all do I have a couple of issues:

The main one is that it will not sleep by pressing the power button. Choosing to sleep via the OS is fine, and it wakes as normal, but one press of the power button creates a block of white text on a black background in the upper left corner of the screen. The text makes a reference to the button and mentions a "System dump" - which I guess is to do with saving what you're doing ready for wake-up, but I'm only guessing. After this the system freezes and requires a hard reboot.

The second issue is less of a problem and probably related. On start-up the grey-white screen appears but no Apple logo and no loading circle. After a while this is replaced with a black screen that displays the start-up code I'd imagine would be kept in the background normally.

So far I've Reinstalled then Erase and Installed and have applied all updates. In safe boot all seems fine.

Any help is much appreciated!

OP
moss918
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Ok, if anyone has the above symptoms... you're in Verbose mode. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.