Refurb 2.8ghz vs. new 2.66ghz?

Reaction score
Hello all, I am simply looking for some buying advice. I am debating between purchasing a refurb 2.8ghz Imac, or a new 2.66 ghz. The jump in hard drive capacity doesn't really concern me, as I have 1.5 tb worth of externals. The jump from 2 to 4 gb of ram doesn't really concern me either, I work at Best Buy and with my discount, ram is dirt cheap. Really, the only thing that's holding me up is the fact that I do not believe the 2.8 is compatible with ddr3 ram. However, for what I do, I figure 4 (or possibly 6?) gbs of ddr2 will suffice.

I really don't do any video or photo editing, or even heavy gaming. Lots of Itunes, web surfing, DVD burning, and really that's about it :)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33G DUO CORE 17"
Refurbished 2.8 if price is cheaper....

Those are really very comparable machines, and processor speed really counts...

;-)

My 0.02

Reaction score
Id probably go with the 2.8ghz, From what i know the 2.8 blows the 2.66 out of the water both in processer speed and graphical power. The only benefit that i can see with the 2.66 is the fact that you can upgrade to 8gb's of ram.. This might be something to consider in the future whilst using more ram hungry applications. Or you should maybe consider looking at the 2.93 which basically is better than both systems..?

OP
B
Reaction score
Well I can get the refurb 2.8 for 1199, or a new 2.66 for 1399. Im a college student, so the 2.93 is a good bit out of my price range, not to mention way too much computer for me. Heck, the 2.66 is probably too much for me, but thats besides the point :)

Most people I have talked to have recommended the 2.8. I cant see myself ever really needing 8 gbs of ram.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well I can get the refurb 2.8 for 1199, or a new 2.66 for 1399. Im a college student, so the 2.93 is a good bit out of my price range, not to mention way too much computer for me. Heck, the 2.66 is probably too much for me, but thats besides the point :)

Most people I have talked to have recommended the 2.8. I cant see myself ever really needing 8 gbs of ram.

Since you mentioned that the 2.66 computer might be "probably too much for me", and being a student (where "spare" money is always in short supply)...you could consider buying a used 2.0 or 2.4 ghz Aluminum iMac.

I bought a refurbished 20" 2.4 ghz iMac for $750 about three months ago (which was a VERY good price at the time)...with the new iMacs being released a week ago...$750 for a 2.4 ghz iMac should be easier to find.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Well to be honest, I had a 2.4ghz 20 inch aluminum, and I sold it. I really wanted the bigger screen, because I do watch a lot of movies and TV on it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well to be honest, I had a 2.4ghz 20 inch aluminum, and I sold it. I really wanted the bigger screen, because I do watch a lot of movies and TV on it.

Yes...the 24" screen is much nicer!

Good luck with your purchase,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.