Mackie control universal

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks to those who have taken an interest....

I'm looking at buying my son a DAW control surface and am more or less settled on the mackie control universal. I have also decided to go for an extender and was wondering what does the C4 do that the extender does not?

I realise I'm being dim but not being musical and never having used a DAW any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Alan

Reaction score
the C4 extender is mainly used for the plugins controls, like in an eq you can control the frequencies, gain/cut, etc.

Reaction score
The C4 has mostly knobs (32 i believe), whereas the extender has eight more faders and knobs. Depending on what he'll use it mostly for will determine which one to get. If he's mixing large multi-track projects, then the extender would be your best bet. If he's more of a bedroom producer using plugins and virtual instruments etc, then the C4 offers more 'tweakability' plus it has 3 more lcd screens for visual feedback as to what the knobs are doing.

hope this helps.

OP
T
Reaction score
That's great thanks, though I have one more question. Do the 'knobs' on the extender do the same as the 'Knobs' on the extender?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.