• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Possible conspiracy unearthed....

Reaction score
When I was looking into purchasing a MBP 17" Unibody, I decided that I'd like to see it first hand in an Apple Store, rather than just gawp on t'internet. I went twice to my local Apple Store, and a strange thing happened....

I explained to the person who was dealing with me that I'd like the new 17" unibody MBP when it comes out, and I'd like the faster processor, so that it'll last me a bit longer. They said both times I went in, that perhaps the 17" wasn't the one I should go for, but perhaps the 15" would be better.

Now, I know I've probably over analysed this, but, to me, there's four possibilities:

1: The person I was speaking to works on commission, and, rather than have me purchase a custom built MBP online, they were trying to convince me to buy in store, in order that they receive commission.

2. Apple aren't selling many 15" MBPs and they're trying to boost sales of the little 'un.

3. They were actually being nice, and were correct in thinking that the 15" was right for me.

4. <Insert theory involving MI5 and aliens>

Has anyone else had this happen to them, or am I going crazy?

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'd agree with rman.. Then again, I have a 15 and couldn't imagine carrying a 17 :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
:D :D :D

You should see me right now, weighing all sorts of equipment, cutting off labels, tags, and extra bits just to drop a few grammes ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I'd agree with rman.. Then again, I have a 15 and couldn't imagine carrying a 17 :D

I have a 15 and just bought a new 17 a week ago. I have to tell you - I am in love with this thing. After about 2 days I cannot tell the difference carrying it around. I think it is about a pound. I originally got it because of the matte option, but now I am so glad I did!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
We recently (last week) went to our nearest Apple store and bought a 13' white Macbook. The old iBook G3 finally blew it's GPU, so I shimmed it and sold it on ebay quickly before the repair failed.
Anyway, the person dealing with us was so good and considerate I said I hoped he got some commission, but he said they are salaried only and don't get anything from the sale.

And yes I did mention the repair in the auction, but still got nearly £150 for it.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
I have 3 friends who work in 2 different apple stores. Two work at a Macmedia and the other works at one that was recently put into our mall.

Neither make commission off of anything. I'm sure they were just telling you you probably don't need that 17 and should try and save money buy purchasing the 15"

edit - hugtheslug, you beat me on the post hahah, my typing lol.

OP
M
Reaction score
well I guess I must just be highly cynical about kindness to strangers here in the UK. It's just odd, they both seemed to run off a sort of spiel that seemed pre-rehearsed, which is why it stuck in my mind.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The 17" has a few disadvantages to the 15" - for one, it doesn't have a removable battery. That's OK if it truly does run 8 hours, but a lot of people like having multiple batteries that they can swap in between. Additionally, it's got a bit more bulk than the 15" and the screen resolution is very high. That might be good for some, but if your eyes aren't as young as they once were, that should definitely be of consideration.

So, depending on how the conversation went, I could see them steering you away from the 17".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
The 17" has a few disadvantages to the 15" - for one, it doesn't have a removable battery. That's OK if it truly does run 8 hours, but a lot of people like having multiple batteries that they can swap in between. Additionally, it's got a bit more bulk than the 15" and the screen resolution is very high. That might be good for some, but if your eyes aren't as young as they once were, that should definitely be of consideration.

So, depending on how the conversation went, I could see them steering you away from the 17".

I get a kick out of people complaining about the battery in this thing. I think the extra battery life is well worth it. Eight hours? Nope. A heck of a lot more than my 15"? Yep. I think I will find a way to sock away the 179 bucks so in 5 years I can afford a replacement. Actually I only keep my computers a year or so anyway. I also travel for a living and I NEVER see people swapping out batteries. Not trying to start anything so please don't take it that way. Just stating my opinion on the whole battery subject ;)

Now the whole screen resolution thing? Very good point...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
well I guess I must just be highly cynical about kindness to strangers here in the UK. It's just odd, they both seemed to run off a sort of spiel that seemed pre-rehearsed, which is why it stuck in my mind.

I vote for number 3 also. Even though I wouldn't put it past any retailer to get their salespeople to push a certain product, coming from a customer service-type job I can tell you that after answering the same questions 50 times a day you can begin to sound a bit robotic even though you are completely sincere.

That said, I can't imagine Apple pushing the 15" unless it has a much better profit margin. I think the 15" screen hits the sweet spot for most people and it sell much better than the 17", so I would personally want to push the lower volume product.

As for the battery life difference: Buy a 15" with an extra battery and get a lighter overall weight, more battery life and still save money! (BTW, everyone knows that tested and actual battery life are 2 different things. I'd shave about an hour and a half off that claim)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
4. <Insert theory involving MI5 and aliens>
You forgot the Illuminati!

Checking the specs, it looks like the only major difference is the battery. For a $300 difference, it's not worth it. I might have said that the screen size was worth it but I quite enjoy a smaller screen (not netbook small though ;D).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Should have listed 'am I going crazy' as option 5 so we could select it LOL!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I am getting about 5-6 hours on my 17 inch MBP. I was also in the "I am never buying a 17 inch notebook" until I got this thing. Now I cannot imagine anything else. Go play around with them for an hour or so and then decide. The matte screen is what got me thinking about this bad boy and I am glad it did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.