System Freezes

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac G5 - every so often the system just freezes, could be doing nothing and it stops, or in an application and it stops.

The hard drive has been replaced with a new one, a fresh installation, run system checks on the RAM and nothing appears to be faulty there.

I am at a losss as to what else to check/do?

Any help plz?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could possibly either be a memory problem or a video problem. Most memory checking programs do not adequately check the modules. The best way to test memory is by substitution with known good modules. Same with the video - test by substituting another card in the G5.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 MDD 2003, 2gb ram, 20" Cinema Display
I believe this is what I had happen with my G4. I removed my original 256mb, and the freezing was less often. Then I reseated, and moved around my ram, it seems to have stopped the freezing. I do not know why.

I think the problem for me was that the two 512's were trying to work together, but due to there odd configuration, this caused problems.

Hope I could help,
Jordan

R3d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8 Ghz PowerPC G4 (Gigadesing Processor), 1.75GB SDRAM, Pioneer DVD, XFX Nvidia 6200 256mb
It could be that your power supply is failing and not delivering enough power to your components. If your system is under powered then system freezes and severe hangs can occur.

Other than that check your video and RAM modules and make sure they are seated correctly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could be that your power supply is failing and not delivering enough power to your components. If your system is under powered then system freezes and severe hangs can occur.

I suppose that could happen, but normally when a power supply is failing and does not deliver enough power, the machine will constantly reboot. His problem is most likely with either memory or graphics.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your System Disks should include Apple Hardware Test. Boot up holding down 'C' and run the full test which checks logic board, memory and graphics.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.