OS X + Steam. Can you play any games from steam?

Reaction score
I saw that Steam now works on OS X as long as you have an intel processor. Can you now run and use any game on OS X?

I was told that HL1 and HL2 games would run.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not without a product like Crossover or Darwine. There is no native port of Steam for OS X, nor has the Source engine (the back-end of HL2) been ported.

Products like Crossover and Darwine provide a translation layer so that software designed to use Windows APIs can run on another OS. It's not fool-proof, however, and many products don't work.

More information here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Interesting post. My neighbor finally bugged me enough to play some games so I finally loaded Boot Camp after two years of just using Fusion on occasion. We are using Steam in Windows and my new MBP 17" can play pretty much any game. I have never gamed on a laptop and it has been pretty cool. If your Mac has the goods - Steam and Boot Camp can definitely play well together. I wouldn't hold your breath though for a native Steam app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.